6- ʜᴀɢʀɪᴅ'ꜱ ʜᴜᴛ☕

"Y/n!"

I lower my book, looking up in time to see Ron waving at me from the edge of the courtyard. I wave back as he walks over, Harry at his side. "How's Neville?" Harry asks, crouching to pet Ember who was laying on my lap.

"Good as new... maybe a little traumatized, though," I say, patting the spot next to me. 

Harry shakes his head, pointing to the trail to the Forbidden Forrest. "We're actually on our way to see Hagrid— do you want to come?"

"Oh- sure!" My stomach felt light and Harry's face seemed a little brighter— I liked being included, I decided.

As we made our way down a hill, I marveled at the view. "He lives in a little cottage in the forest?? Living my dream..."

"That's your dream house?" Harry asks, looking surprised.

"Well not exactly. I'd want mine to be a little cuter, with flowers all around, and a little bigger— to fit my future dragon. And I want a lake next to it!"

"A wooden house and a dragon? Not the best idea, mate," Ron looks amused, having heard my rambling before.

"That's what the lake is for—" My lips curl into a dorky smile as I bump his shoulder, and Ron can only groan with (fake) annoyance. His fond smile says it all. 

"Hey, let's race!" Ron suggests, and I give him a look.

Within seconds, I quickly break into a run, tightly clutching Ember, as Ron chases after me.

"I didn't say 'go'!" He yells out but I couldn't care less.

"Hey, wait for me!" Harry calls out behind us.

And so, when I tap the wall of Hagrid's house as a sign of my victory, two out-of-breath boys tumble into me.

"I won!"

"You had a headstart!" Harry accuses, leaning against the wall to catch his breath.

"So? Just get better," I stick out a tongue, and they roll their eyes.

Harry opens his mouth to say something but nearly jumps into me, as several loud barks boom from inside the hut.

"What's all 'at racket? Back, Fang, back!" Hagrid's face appears as the door opens, and in his arms is an enormous black dog that he's struggling to keep down. "Ah, Harry an' friends! Come in, make yerselves at home."

We don't make 5 steps into the large room before Fang breaks out of Hagrid's hold and crashes into us. Ron lets out a yelp as he's continuously attacked by slobber and I laugh at his luck— I had stepped out of the way, saving myself, and Ember, from the same fate.

"What a cutie! You look a lot tougher than you are, you know?" I kneel down to pet him and nearly fall back as he jumps on me instead.

"Cutie? I almost died-" Ron mutters, looking at the ceiling as if he had just seen the other side.

"This is Y/n and Ron. Oh, and Ember" Harry picks her up and introduces us to the giant, who had busied himself pouring tea for us.

"A Weasley? Y'know, I spent half me life chasing yer twin brothers out the Forrest." Hagrid muses after a look at his freckles.

"Are your freckles that much of an indicator..." I question the ginger, amused by how quickly Hagrid sized him up.

"That's what I've been saying!"

.

.

.

"He really seems to hate me!"

"Rubbish! Why would Snape hate you?"

"I don't know, you should see the way he looks at Harry-" Hagrid coughs loudly, and passes me another rock cake. Oh no- the cakes lived up to their name and were rock-hard, I couldn't even bite them. Nonetheless, I smile politely and take it, making a note to not talk about Snape's dislike for Harry around Hagrid.

"So- how's yer brother, Charlie? I liked that one- real good with animals, he was." Hagrid asks Ron, changing the topic conveniently.

"He works with Dragons in Romania now!"

Harry frowns, before picking up a piece of paper.

"Hagrid- that Gringotts break-in that happened was on my birthday! Maybe it happened while we were there!"

Hagrid didn't answer, and suddenly finds his tea very interesting.

"Rock cake?" He offers, sweating and not meeting our eyes.

Harry frowns.

---
ᴡᴏʀᴅ ᴄᴏᴜɴᴛ- 681