Chapter Thirty Eight

Start from the beginning

He wisely flinched under my icy glare, but continued, speaking to Aelin directly. "Nesryn's family had a country house on the edge of the forest. They had to abandon it recently, due to the turmoil in the city. It should still be empty."

That would be - perfect, actually. So long as I made one thing crystal clear.

"Do you understand," I said softly, eyes boring into Chaol's, "that if the house is still occupied, and I even think one of those occupants will betray us, I will kill them all?"

It was true. I'd kill them, and I wouldn't lose a second of sleep over it. If it made me a monster in the eyes of the human captain, I didn't care. So long as he didn't turn around and spew his vile hatred at my mate in response.

I was barely hanging on to the shreds of my self-control where Aelin's safety was concerned. All I wanted was to wrap her up in my arms and fly her far away from anything that could cause her harm. I'd fucking wrap her in lamb's wool if I thought she'd allow it. I could not - would not - humor even the slightest threat to my mate right now.

Chaol's adams apple bobbed as he swallowed heavily, but he nodded solemnly in acceptance.

Good. I wasn't fucking around.

"It's settled then," Rowan said. "Lead the way."

An hour later, we emerged from the woods, on high alert as we approached a small stone farmhouse. Dusk had already fallen, and the house and the surrounding fields were dark and silent.

Azriel went ahead, kicking in the wooden door and conducting a sweep of the dwelling to confirm it really was empty. It was only when he emerged, signaling it was safe, that the rest of us followed and began setting up for the night.

The inside of the home was warm and cozy, despite its abandoned state. The small fire we'd lit cast a gentle glow over the well-worn oak table and small kitchen. In the firelight, Aelin's bloodied state stood out even more, setting my teeth on edge.

A trickle of red blood had dried on her temple, her cheek was bruised, and the left sleeve of her tunic was torn open to reveal the bandage that Rowan had wrapped around a vicious slice. She was completely covered in dust, dirt, and a profuse amount of the Wing Leader's blue blood.

Despite it all, she was perfectly poised - unbothered, even - joining the rest of the group in scarfing down a meager dinner of traveling provisions, washed down with the cool water from the house's well. Conversation was stilted, all of us exhausted from the long day of travel and death-defying acts.

Aelin went to wash up in the spigot outside after dinner, and we all pretended not to notice when the captain slipped out after her. We made a show of dividing up the watch rotations for the night, but I knew I wasn't the only one listening intently to every word that bastard said to our mate.

I wouldn't hesitate to rip out his tongue if he even veered in the direction of disrespect. Though, to be totally honest, there was a part of me that was almost hoping he would. After today, I'd take any excuse if it meant I could end his miserable life. Or maim him, at the very least.

To my chagrin, he was disconcertingly polite.

It wasn't long after they returned - fresh-faced and clean - that Rowan and Azriel headed out for first watch, and the rest of us acknowledged we should at least try to get some rest. I wasn't very optimistic.

With Cassian claiming the largest room for us and Aelin, Aedion and Chaol bedded down in the two small spares on the ground floor. Everyone quickly dispersed, but I couldn't seem to make myself move. The haze had returned, an oppressive weight descending on my mind. Lost in that neverending fog, I couldn't drum up the energy to move, staring into the fire with unseeing eyes.

Their FireheartOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara