Chapter Forty Two

Rhysand

My heart beat erratically in my chest as I watched the attack on my people, my home. Hybern's feral creatures attacked the dome Az and Cass had erected, punching hole after hole through the shield as they poured in, dumping the soldiers they had carried across the sea.

Rage swelled with a ferocity that overwhelmed me. Rage at myself, at the mortal queens, and most of all at Hybern. I hadn't wanted to show those useless fools Velaris, but if the only thing keeping us from the second half of the Book had been my reputation, I never would have forgiven myself.

Now though, not only had they attacked the very people I'd spent my entire existence protecting, but they had attacked my mate. If they thought I was a monster before, they hadn't seen anything yet.

Aelin's wicked smile lit a fire beneath us, and my court ran, splitting up to defend the vulnerable districts of the city. My wards had already been raised, but they did nothing to defend against the bastards who were already here. Hybern soldiers were everywhere, laughing at the screams of my people, laughing as they dragged them out of buildings and homes.

Blood dribbled down the cobblestone streets, a sight I had sworn I would never see. A thunderous boom rocked the other side of the city, where art and theater thrived in peace and joy. It was the Rainbow of Velaris, and it was being destroyed because of those fucking queens.

Snarling, I raced toward the Rainbow, which was already bathed in blood. I shot a quick glance over my shoulder, watching as Aelin blasted Attors out of the sky with streams of fire. Rowan protected her back, sweeping soldiers into the river, freezing and pulling them from the sky with whips of ice cold wind.

Never had I been more grateful to have such a ferocious mate, fearlessly throwing herself into battle without hesitation, all to protect innocent lives. She was far more than I deserved.

Cass and Az defended the city from above, launching red and blue arrows from the skies. Wherever they flew, Attors died. They had discovered a more effective use of their shields.

Twin shields of red and blue, smaller than what had encased the city, sizzled as they merged, slamming into soldiers and aerial forces. Flesh and wings tore, bone melted and cracked -

Until all that was left were hands encased in stone gauntlets, bouncing along the cobblestone.

But there were countless more. Too many. This wasn't a fucking attack, it was an extermination.

Not if I had anything to do with it.

I misted soldiers as I ran to where a large mass of the creatures had converged, right in the beating heart of the city. Fire, not the wildfire of my mate, was rippling, black smoke staining the sky -

Across the river, thunder boomed again. Relief rushed through me when I realized Amren had emerged. Her slim hands pointed to the soldiers as they fell as if their own wings failed them. They slammed into the streets, choking, clawing and shrieking, just as our people had done.

Satisfied my court was here, fighting, I winnowed to the edge of the Rainbow as Hybern's soldiers rounded its farthest corner. They spilled onto the river avenue, past countless cafes and shops, and they didn't see me until it was too late.

My Illyrian blade cleaved through their heads, one after another. The ones out of my reach were misted, consciousness shredded, screaming in terror as my dark claws tore into their minds. Dozens went down in my wake, but more still came.

Across the square, a young female, blue-skinned and wingless, held an ancient rusted bit of pipe raised above her shoulder. She stood her ground in front of her storefront - people crouched inside the shop, sobbing.