Prologue

Wind rushed in the she cat's ears as her paws thrummed against the ground. Her head low to prevent any cat seeing her before she wanted them to, she raced toward the place she had previously called home. With a glance to her right, she could see the cat that had stuck beside her since they had first met as kits. Moth was the most supportive cat she had ever known, and a warmth grew in her chest at just the thought of her. Her friend's blue eyes flashed toward her as well, and the pale brown cat nodded to her. They were ready for the fight ahead.

        Her head shot to her left now, and she saw the larger she cat who ran their ragtag group of rogues. Dawn used to be a CinderClan cat just like them, but she had left before the two had even become apprentices. She never told anyone why she left, but she had a fury inside her in regards to her former family just like Clover did. The black and gray she cat had immediately grown fond of the rogue leader as soon as she met her.

        Dozens of rogues spread out behind them. This battle was sure to be a win, especially with how few the Clan had remaining in numbers. It had never been a big group, but it seemed to be at its weakest with only a few warriors left. Clover knew her father would still be there, but her mother had already passed on before she left. If I can even call that lousy excuse for a cat my father. He disowned me and Pebblepaw right after our mother died. 

        The rogue group slowed down as they officially entered CinderClan territory, and they made sure their approach toward the camp was as quiet as they could make it. They placed their paws carefully and kept their breathing silent. Clover herself didn't even know if she was breathing anymore. All she felt was something clutching at her chest as they got closer to her old home. Their march came to a halt as the walls of the camp came into sight. Clover recognized Sweetberry guarding the camp entrance, and she felt her claws unsheathe as she watched the warrior yawn and groom herself. 

        Clover glanced at Dawn, a question in her gaze. She grinned once the leader nodded to her, her yellow eyes glinting. One paw in front of the other, she stalked her prey, making sure she was downwind from the CinderClan warrior. Her eyes narrowed, and she focused on every movement Sweetberry made. When she was close enough, she bunched her muscled and leapt at her, claws extended. One paw quickly went over the cat's mouth, and her other paw sliced across her throat. A thump on the ground was all that could be heard from the scuffle. 

        The rogue held her head up high and nodded in the direction she knew her friends were hiding. Dawn emerged from the shadows, her gaze bright. Behind her streamed many cats, their eyes all blazing with determination. They didn't want these cats on what used to be their land, so they would have to take it back by force. "Pack," Dawn growled, tail lashing. "Charge!"

        The night erupted into yowls as the rogues breached the camp, claws out and slashing left and right. Clover didn't really care for the chaos; she had one cat in particular she wanted to find. The one cat that had caused her pain and was the cause of her mother's death; he was the one who needed to die the most tonight. Her yellow gaze flashed around the camp, searching for the black pelt she was hoping to tear her claws through. 

        There were too many pelts wrestling around for her to see properly, and she couldn't help but let out a snarl in frustration. She began to claw her way through the cats in the camp, not caring whether they were friend or foe. It didn't matter to her right now. She was on no one's side until she got this one kill. That's all she was really here for anyway.

        "Cloverpaw?" A gravelly voice caught her attention, and she turned her head to see him. "Cloverpaw, did you do this? Did you attack the Clan?"

        A low growl escaped her throat, and her eyes narrowed at the cowardly tom in front of her. "Nightstorm, you foxhearted worm! I'm not here to attack CinderClan. I'm here to kill you."