t w e l v e

Depuis le début

"No," I protested. "I'm glad you told me. I'd rather find a way to deal with this now that having to do it unexpected."

I wanted to believe Viktor had my best interests at heart. Key word being wanted. This man was an assassin who wanted to kill me just hours ago. The line of trust here was thin but to work together, Viktor and I had to thicken it. Getting my head clear, I was now fully aware of my surroundings and the fact that Viktor's hand was in mine.

It was large, calloused like my own but peeping down at the two limbs there was a stark difference. Bronze skin, tan skin. Feminine, masculine. Shaky, sure. Cold... warm. His hand was very very warm. We were inches apart, I could feel the heat from his, hanging in the air between us, kindling like a fire. It enveloped the air around me. His smell was strong, whatever he used was good.

Wait! Peach get a grip!

I stood up straighter and pulled my hand out of his, pretending to use it to adjust my sunglasses yet the other was more than free. I wanted to flex my hands, shake it out to get the feeling of his skin off mine but it lingered and tingled, promising something as sweet as sin.

"Why don't you get all the... um... stuff and I'll work on snacks and clothes. We meet back here in ten to twenty minutes," I said quickly, trying my best not to sound like I was rambling.

Uncomfortable. Uncomfortable. Uncomfortable. Uncomfortable. Uncomfortable.

His gaze was burning and it was hard to stare right back into his soft baby blues. My heart was racing and my stomach was churning. I was surprised the urge to kneel over and puke hadn't taken over.

"Fine but don't leave the supermarket, yeah? I don't think I can protect us both if you decide to do something impulsive," he stated.

"I don't do impulsive. Don't worry. I'll be here," I assured him. He nodded, taking my word for it and left. I put an arm against the display of snacks beside me and leaned against it for some balance and to catch my breath.

"Excuse me. Hi."

I turned to find a middle aged woman with auburn hair in a soft bob and dull blue eyes. She smiled at me, the few wrinkles at her face pulling to show how genuine it was. She wore a floral shirt under her thick cardigan and brown uggies tucked into washed out skinny jeans. Her whole presence literally screamed 'mom'.

"Hello?" I greeted unsure.

"My name is Gwen. Nice to meet you," she said holding out her hand. I shook it, still confused.

"Nice to meet you too?"

Gwen smiled and held her hands in front of her. "I was just shopping up the aisle and I couldn't help but notice you and your boyfriend."

"He's not my boyfriend," I was quick to correct and that's when I noticed the look of worry increase tenfold on Gwen's face. Shoot. "He's my husband."

Jesus Peach. He's your what?! This could not get worse.

"How long have you two been together?" she asked softly.

"Years," I stated giving a nervous laugh.

"How long has he been violent with you?"

I blinked. Twice. "I—I'm sorry... What?"

"I noticed your limp and the black eye under your sunglasses. Are you ok?" Gwen pressed and my mouth dropped open. Shoot. How exactly can I get out of this?

"I'm fine Gwen. Really. He would never hurt me. Ever. Like seriously," I rambled.

"Then how'd you get the black eye?" she asked.