Chapter 20

He was blocking his mind from Luna, so she blocked hers right back. Fortune flapped closer to the arena and faced Heist and Scoundrel, the prince had come down to his mother's side when he spotted Fortune. The giant Night Bringer pointed at Luna and Sprite, then spoke.

"That Night Bringer and that fairy," Fortune said, "are ours."

Wait, what about the rest of them? Luna thought.

"Yours?" Heist asked suspiciously. "The brats were with two traitorous subjects and my traitorous eldest daughter."

"No," Fortune said, coming down to eye level with Heist and Scoundrel. "We have come to claim the two magets as ours. We'll take them and go without harm."

"Oh, really?" Heist snapped. "How do you suppose you'll do that?"

"Do not anger the Night Bringers," Fortune growled, "goblin."

Eldest daughter? Fowl thought. Luna, did you know about this?

Luna didn't. Fortune! All of the Magets of Magic are needed! Listen to me!

"No!" Heist shouted. "I want to see the Rebel Fairy fight trolls!"

Fortune eyed the trolls with annoyed eyes. "Those trolls?" he said. "Very well."

The Night Bringer thrust a claw in the air and thrust it back down. Six of the Night Bringers zoomed down and headed right for the trolls. They each grabbed a troll and snapped their neck. Red pools started to spill and cover half of the arena.

Artemis looked disturbed. Sprite was hiding behind Fowl. Fowl was shocked. The goblins were frozen in fear. Luna just stood where she was, astounded they had the strength to kill those trolls. Heist was growling and looking quite angry.

"There," Fortune said, "you don't have a troll problem anymore. Now, if you'll excuse us, we will take the Night Bringer and the fairy as planned."

The six Night Bringers that killed the six trolls stalked toward Luna and Sprite. Luna and Sprite walked back towards the other magets. Four more Night Bringers thumped down on the other side of the group. Luna ran over to her friends and they made a circle. Sprite was forming fireballs in her hands. Artemis had a ball of energy ready on the end of his horn. Fowl was in her human form with the Magicslayer sword raised above her head, ready to strike.

The Night Bringers on the ground circled the magets, looking like hungry panthers trying to catch a group of rabbits. Luna had so many questions. Why are we fighting my own tribe? Why do they only want me and Sprite? Why are they all blocking their minds from me? Does this have anything to do with the Night Bringers going rogue? Are they the rogue Night Bringers? They must be!

"We can do this the easy way," said one of the Night Bringers, "and you can hand over the Night Bringer and fairy. Or we can do this the hard way, and we kill you all first."

"You can't kill us," Fowl snarled. "We have a destiny. Luna had the same vision Fortune had. You kill us, you ruin Magic's one way for peace."

"There is only one way for peace," he said. "Our way."

Luna arched her tail up and pointed it at the chest of the Night Bringer next to the one who just spoke. His eyes widened as Luna fired. A ball of smoke came up from the spot where Luna had fired, and a pile of ash sat where the Night Bringer used to be. Luna might have cranked up the power too much.

"Maget," Fortune growled. He landed on the ground in front of the group of magets with his eyes on Luna. "You're making this harder than it needs to be. You are coming with us."