CIRCLE

Spencer passed Jace and Clary, the latter giving her an odd look, and wound up walking behind Alec and Isabelle. She heard snatches of their conversation.

    "...teach you not to go to so many Downworlder parties," Alec was saying. "They're always more trouble than they're worth." He appeared to be consoling Isabelle.

    "If anything had happened to him, I—I don't know what I would have done," she replied, sounding close to tears. Spencer guessed she was feeling guilty over what had happened to Simon.

    "Probably whatever it is you did before," Alec said, clearly bored and disinterested. "It's not like you knew him all that well."

    Isabelle turned her head to look at him. "That doesn't mean I don't—"

    "What? Love him? You need to know someone to love them," Alec replied condescendingly.

    "But that's not all it is," said Isabelle dejectedly. "Didn't you have fun at the party, Alec?"

    "No."

    "I thought you might like Magnus," Isabelle said. "He's nice isn't it?" Spencer suddenly got the feeling that Isabelle had an ulterior motive for coming to the party.

    "Nice?" Alec echoed. "Kittens are nice. Warlocks are...not."

    "I thought you might hit it off," she continued. "Get to be friends."

    "I have friends," Alec replied. He looked back over his shoulder, past Spencer, at Jace.

    Isabelle fell silent, defeated. It suddenly occurred to Spencer that Alec, despite his occasional cruelty and bitterness, had feelings for Jace. Romantic feelings.

    And Spencer knew, from the way Jace looked at Clary, that he didn't return those feelings.

    Of course, this revelation didn't change Spencer's opinion of Alec. He was hard-headed, rude, abrasive and incredibly petulant when he didn't get his way. He was also caring, and smart, and protective of both Jace and Izzy.

    "Of course he didn't!" someone screamed. Spencer turned to see that Clary and Jace had stopped walking, Clary holding her backpack in shaking hands. "What, you think he wants to get smashed under someone's car, killed by a cat—"

    Jace raised placating arms. "Clary—"

    "Shut up!" she yelled. Clary swung her backpack at Jace with impressive force. "You were the one who said not to bother changing him back—"

    Jace caught the bag and took it from her. He said something to Clary, too softly for Spencer to hear. She saw Clary shake her head, then reply.

    "Alec! Isabelle!" Jace called. "You three go on ahead! We'll catch up!"

    Spencer saw Alec hesitate, until Izzy grabbed his arm and pulled him onwards. "Come on, Spencer!" she said over her shoulder.

    Giving Clary and Jace one last uncertain glance, Spencer turned and followed Alec and Isabelle to the subway.

* * *