REVELATION

"Spencer," Mr. Kent said, for it was indeed her old tutor. "My, my. It's been a long time."

    She didn't reply. She couldn't. No words would come to her.

    Jace looked between the two of them. "Spencer, do you know him?"

    Spencer shook herself a little. "I—Mr. Kent, what are you doing here?"

    "Mr. Kent?" Jace frowned. "What on earth—"

    "I haven't seen you since you were, what? Fifteen?" he said.

    "Fourteen." Spencer licked her lips. "Just before Mom died."

    "Ah, yes," he said. "A terrible shame, that. A mugging, wasn't it?"

    Spencer nodded. "What are you doing here?" she asked again. "How did you—" She cut herself off and took a deep breath. "Are you working for Valentine?"

    Mr. Kent shook his head. "No, no, nothing of the sort."

    "Spencer," Jace said. "How do you know this man?"

    "I—he trained me. To fight," Spencer said, still trying to get over her shock. Something about his presence seemed surreal, like a fever dream.

    Mr. Kent tsked. "Oh, Spencer. Don't shortchange your education." He turned to Jace. "I taught her everything she knows," he said. "I practically raised her." Looking back at Spencer, he said, "I thought you'd be happy to see me."

    "I'll ask you again," Spencer said, voice stronger now, "how are you here? Do you work for Valentine?"

    Jace looked at her in surprise. "Spencer, that's—"

    "Hush, Jace," Mr. Kent said. "Give her a moment. My presence has clearly shocked her. It's been nearly four years since she's seen me, after all."

    Spencer looked at Jace—really looked—and saw that he was watching Mr. Kent with an animated expression, like he was captivated by him. A strange reaction, for someone Jace has never... "No," Spencer whispered, standing up. "You can't be."

    Mr. Kent's face broke into a grin. "I can't be what?"

    "Him," she said. "But you are. You're Valentine." She sat down again, the ground roiling under her feet. She put her head in her hands. "Oh, my goodness." She looked up at Valentine, hand covering her mouth. "I was raised by—by Valentine?" She looked to Jace for confirmation, but he only stared at her, mouth agape.

    "You say that like it's a bad thing," Valentine said. "I taught you to fight, to wield every weapon under the sun. I taught you languages, and science, and history. And now, you sit here, staring at me with such unbecoming hatred." He leaned against the doorjamb. "That expression never suited you, Spencer. You're too...good."

    "Wait," Jace said. "You raised her and me at the same time?"

    "Well, yes," Valentine said. "It was quite easy, mostly because she had her mother to look after her while I was away."

    Jace looked at Spencer, whose hand was still covering her mouth. "This is incredibly odd," he said.

    Valentine ignored him. "How ironic," he said. "The two children I raised for ten years each, now standing before me. Well, Spencer, of course, is seated, but that's to be expected." She immediately stood. Valentine clasped his hands behind him, sighing. "My two finest creations, right in front of me. I tell you, it is surreal," he said with a small laugh, as if he couldn't quite believe it himself.