Chapter 4

In the following months, I had been secretly introduced to the beautiful land and forest of La Push and Bella's childhood friend, Jacob Black, and his two friends, Quil Ateara and Embry Call. Harry Clearwater, his wife, Sue, and Seth and Leah were the absolute best and Sue had instantly taken a liking toward me and vice versa. Seth was a little ball of energy, sunshine, and rainbows while Leah was almost the complete opposite. She had recently gone through a breakup and her ex-boyfriend, Sam Uley, had left her for her cousin, which did not sit right with me in the slightest. I made it clear to her that I was on her side and how I felt about him, regardless of me being a few years younger than her. The Clearwater family overall was amazing.

When I started school, I quickly made friends with what seemed to be Bella's friends, according to Charlie. Jessica was the gossip queen, Angela was the shy smart girl, and her boyfriend Eric was a nerd while Mike was a low-level jock who secretly had the hots for Jessica. I was overall doing well in the cold state. It was February now, 5 months after the Cullens left. Nana Rose and I had spent Thanksgiving with Charlie and Bella, along with Christmas and New Year. It felt weird without my Nana Chrissy and Papa Steve, but it was bearable.

Nana Rose has been acting weird. Ever since Bella was found, that night when she said something about the cougar, she's been disappearing and coming back early in the morning every other week. And I noticed that a couple of the Quileute boys started hanging around Sam Uley. It was strange because they had never given the man the time of day before. This town is weird. And honestly, it's a lot more interesting than my hometown. I was pulled from my thoughts by my phone ringing. Bella? I answered the call.

"Hey, Bella! How are you?" I asked.

"Hey, Daisy. I asked Angela for your number, I hope you don't mind." The girl said. "I was wondering if you wanted to come and hang out with me and my friend, Jacob."

"Jacob Black?" I whispered. "Lives on the Res in La Push, Jacob?"

"Yeah? Why are you whispering?" The brunette asked.

"I'll tell you when I get over to your house. Of course, I'll hang out with you, Bella. See you soon." I said and quickly hung up before she could question me. I put my homework away, not being able to focus on it anyway, and rushed down the stairs. "Nana?"

"In the kitchen, sweetheart!" Her voice called. I followed it and the smell of cookies. "What is it, sweetie?"

"Bella just asked if I could hang out with her. Can I go? We're going to Port Angeles." I lied. She looked up from the tray of cookies and smiled.

"Yeah. Take these over while you're at it." She gestured to the cookie tray. "Fresh out of the oven." I quickly put my boots on and grabbed the tray of cookies.

"Alright, Nana. Thank you." I kissed her cold cheek and sped out the door, making my way over to Bella's house. She opened the door as I was about to knock. I snorted. "Perfect timing."

"What are the cookies for?" Bella asked. I looked down at the cookies and grabbed a couple, handing the tray to her.

"Nana Rose made them for you and Charlie and asked me to bring them over to y'all right now since I was coming over to hang out." I waited as she walked away and came back. "She thinks we're going to Port Angeles so if she asked, we went, saw a movie, and went window shopping." We quickly go into her truck and she started driving.

"Why did you lie to your nana?" The girl asked. "Aren't you, like... a really good kid? From what I've heard from Charlie, your nana says you haven't lied to her once."

"It's hard to be honest to someone who's keeping secrets from you herself." I sighed. "My nana's been acting weird ever since I got here." I nibbled on my cookie. "The day you went missing, she had left early in the morning and came back and said something about a cougar and it being delicious. No one that I've ever met eats cougar. And no one eats that early in the day. It was damn near 2 a.m. when she walked into the house." I looked at her and sighed again. "I know that I probably sound crazy, and it's gonna sound even crazier when I tell you that my nana's skin is ice cold and as hard as a rock." Bella fell silent for a few minutes before I continued. "She also said that I'm not allowed in La Push because of some long-lasting family feud but I've been there and the natives are all very sweet. Especially the Clearwaters."

"Yeah. Harry Clearwater is friends with my dad. He's a great guy." Bella sighed. "And you don't sound crazy. I know what you're talking about. But not being allowed in La Push is weird." I looked at Bella weirdly.

"What do you mean you know what I'm talking about?" I asked. "Is there something that I don't know?" Bella tensed and shook her head.

"Yes. And you can't know ever. It would put you and her in danger. Just know that your nana has her reasons for things and that she's doing it for your well-being. And that she's not gonna hurt you." The rest of the drive was silent as I thought about what she said. Not gonna hurt me? Of course, she's not gonna hurt me. I never thought she was going to. I stared out the window. When we got to the turning point for La Push or Port Angeles, I spoke up.

"Hey, can you drop me off at Harry's house instead?" I asked. "I'll hang out with y'all another time. I just need to talk to him." She merely nodded and soon I was getting out of her truck. "Thanks, Bella. Sorry for the sudden change of heart. I promise I'll hang out with y'all next time."

"I get it. I haven't been the best neighbor and I kinda sprung this on you out of nowhere." Bella said apologetically.

"It's alright, Bella. You're going through a tough time because they just up and left out of nowhere. I'd be upset about it too if I was closer to my cousins." I smiled at her. "Now, go have fun with Jacob. Tell him I said hello."

"Will do." She smiled back. I shut the passenger side door and she pulled out of Harry's driveway. I walked up the porch steps and knocked on the door.

"I'll get it, Harry!" Called an unfamiliar voice. Who the hell? Before I could think any further, the front door opened. In front of me stood, like all of the Quileute natives, a tan boy in cut-off jean shorts and tennis shoes. No shirt. His bare torso, more specifically, his chest, was at eye level and I had to look up to meet his eyes. And when I did, I silently gasped. His eyes were a dark chocolate brown, his short hair was black. He had a sharp jawline yet his cheeks still held baby fat and I could feel the heat radiating off of his body, even though I was standing a foot and a half away from him. I looked back at his face and realized he was still staring at me. My cheeks flushed red and I looked down.

"U-umm, this is the Clearwater residence, right? Or am I mistaken?" I asked the undeniably handsome boy in front of me. He cleared his throat.

"Yeah, this is Harry's house. May I ask who you are?" He looked down at me. I smiled slightly.

"Only if I can ask who you are." I looked up at him, my lips turned upward and my cheeks still slightly red. He smiled at me.

"I'm Paul. Paul Lahote." He held his hand out to me. I looked at it and then back at him, taking his hand in mine. It was hot, feverish almost.

"I'm Daisy. Daisy-May Beauregard."