Two Unusual Rivals

———— Flashback continues ————-

——————- Writer's POV ——————

You woke up the next morning, wearing your sleeping gear. You had walked out of your bedroom as usual, scratching the back of your head and yawning unceremoniously, until you jumped back after noticing, that there was a stranger laying on your couch . Then you remembered: Shit...it really wasn't a dream was it?

Well, maybe he wasn't a complete stranger anymore, since now at least you knew his name. Yesterday, when you had this terrifying encounter on the livingroom floor, you had asked him his name and told him yours to ease out the discomfort. He had laughed at that, saying that you had been bluffing, not knowing who he was. But the truthfully unknowing look you had, made him grid his teeth a little.

"Well, you really should have thought it out twice before letting in a hero hunter", he laughed,: "The name is Garou". He was grinning as he was now searching your reaction, thinking you would be running out in fear after his reveal. You furrowed your brows for a moment, with a little frown as you thought about his words. There was a moment of dramatic silence. Then you suddenly spoke:
"No, is it like an artist name or something?"

You had been completely genuine, as you had asked that from Garou, which was the reason why he was so surprised. He somehow had thought, and still believed, that you were a part of some heroes' masterplan of defeating him.
"Moron! I'm the one who has been kicking those heroes' asses to the brink of their deaths all over the city!" He lashed out at you, but you still had that curious expression on your face.

"Still I'd think that hero hunter slogan is better as an artist name-", you muttered, and he hissed a little: -"Anyways, its nice to meet you Garou, I'm Y/n", you smiled friendly to him. He didn't respond to that, as he thought that you hadn't had believed him or that you simply were acting oblivious to hide your intentions. He had looked annoyed, but stayed quiet as you had continued helping him. What he didn't see from your neutral expression, was how you were actually worried now, knowing he was after heroes. But not for the reasons one would think.

Now back on the present day, you went back to your bedroom to change your clothes. Then you went to open up the kitchen fridge to make some breakfast. You gasped out of fear as you had noticed how everything from your fridge was now gone.
"What the hell?! I just bought food?!" You shouted, and then turned slowly to look at the man on the couch. He wasn't sleeping, that you knew from the way he swung his foot in boredom, but he had his eyes closed.

"Garou"

"Huh?"

"Did you eat the whole fridge?

"No idiot, you are looking at it"

You facepalmed at his, and maybe a little bit your, stupid remark. He continued with his low voice:
"It's not my fault you decided to "help" me, you can only blame yourself". You growled at him in disbelief.
"Besides, I didn't eat everything", he muttered. You looked around the kitchen and your sorry eyes landed on two burned pieces of toast.

"Why did you burn them?!"

"What about it?"

"Is this the way you make toast?! By committing arson?!"

"Well, maybe it is!"

What he didn't tell you is that he wanted to make toast to himself, but didn't know the settings of your toaster. You couldn't see his slightly embarrassed, but frustrated expression on his face. You groaned, but ate the toast anyway, since you were hungry.

For the couple next days you two kept bickering and found new ways to annoy each other. He had hinted, that he thought of you as his rival of sorts and you had in your mind accepted this challenge. It was like a lighthearted game, to you at least. You figured out, that questioning Garou's abilities or strength was your biggest bet if you wanted to do something useful or make him stop doing something. Unfortunately, he had been coming up with a stradegy as well against you...

It all happened one day, after you had came back home from work.

You tiredly wiggled your apartment keys around as you opened the door to your home.
"Home sweet home!" You exclaimed to yourself and as expected, there was no answer. You undressed your outdoor jacket. Not expecting anything, you slowly turned to look at Garou resting on the couch. To your shock, he was holding one of your books in his hand.

You gasped out of shock as you saw the book with a title of The Wolf And The Rose. It was a smutty romance novel, a genre that was your guilty pleasure. You didn't know why, but you felt embarrassed.
"You finally came back to me, my love", he quoted mockingly from the book.
"Why are you reading that?!" You questioned, trying to hide your rising embarrassment.
"Because I wanted to know what a person like you would be into on their free time", he smirked smugly.

"So this is why you took me to your place, my princess?", he accused you with a suggestive tone. You flinched:
"That book has nothing to do with the fact that I just wanted to help! It's just one book so why are you even making a scene out of it!?"
"It's not just one...", he muttered with a low voice. You blushed again: Gaah! He has seen the others?!
"Besides, you are making a scene, not me", he continued as you now had angrily walked up to him to grab the book out of his hand. As you were doing that he had now realized the expression on your face that he hadn't seen on you before: an embarrassed, flustered face that screamed... defeat. He started to grin in realization; he had figured out your weakness.