Chapter Two

"You won't be alone in this."

The days following Nathan's death were dark and quiet

The days following Nathan's death were dark and quiet. Willow held herself up in their apartment the next day, not answering her door or phone. Even though the club had a key, they didn't use it, letting her mourn the day alone, knowing she probably needed it.

Gemma took it upon herself to plan the funeral for Willow, knowing the young girl wasn't in the place to do it. Willow didn't leave her apartment until the day of the funeral, scrapping a black dress out of her closet, slipping on some flats, and walking out her door an hour before the viewing.

Willow didn't want to go. She didn't want to see Nathan laying in his casket. Didn't want to spend time with the people in town coming to pay their respects to her, knowing they only felt pity. Knowing they'll talk about her and him when they leave.

Gemma was outside her apartment waiting to drive her to the church, SAMCRO on their bikes beside her car, ready to escort them. Willow gave a nod to the bikers she passed as she went to the passenger side, Chibs squeezing her shoulder as he opens the door for her.

Gemma gets in, reaching over to grab her hand, "We'll get through this, baby."

Willow just squeezed her hand, not ready to say anything, but appreciating not having to be alone. As they got to the funeral home, walking up the steps, Willow faltered, not crossing the open doors, "You go ahead, Gem. I need a minute." Her voice was raw from screaming into her pillow the passed three nights.

The older woman studied her before nodding reluctantly, "Alright, baby. Take all the time you need."

Willow tried to send a small smile to her, before moving back down the steps and towards the side walk, needing to be as far away as she could get. She could feel eyes on her and looked up across the lot to see, Most of the out of town bikers having just pulled up.

Chibs and Tig walked up on either side, the scot grabbing her attention, "How you doin lassie?"

"Fine." Willow nodded.

"Ah, don't have to do that shit with us, las." He shook his head, "We're all here for ya."

Before she could reply, she felt someone tap her on her shoulder, "Mrs.Scott."

Turing around, she sees officer Hale, "Yes?"

"I wanted to offer my condolences."

"Thank you." She replies quietly, when he doesn't leave, she raises a brow.

"Your husband was one of the good ones. It's a shame he got involved with who he did."

"Excuse me?" She whispers harshly, narrowing her eyes. She feels Chibs and Tig straighten up at his words, moving closer to her sides.

"He could have had a good life, outside of the club." Hale seems to press forward despite the glares he receives, "I'm hoping you'll see that now, make the right decisions."

"And what decisions would those be?"

"I'm looking into your husbands death, you can do him justice by telling me what you know." Hale shrugs.

"Where the hell do you get off, huh?" She exclaims, charging forward with her hands out, trying to swipe at him, only to get pulled back by Chibs,

"Wow las."

"You piece of shit pig!" She yells, fighting against the Scotsman's hold, the rest of SAMCRO making their way over when they see the altercation.

"I want your ass out of here or the next death this towns going to look into is yours!" She yells as Jax takes her from Chibs's hold, lifting her up off the ground and towards the side of the church, away from prying eyes and Deputy Hale.

"Let go of me!" Willow yells, pushing herself away from him when he finally sets her down.

Jax raises his brows at her but puts his hands up in surrender. He's never seen her like this, angry, frenzied.

Willow Scott was known around town and the club as being a bit shy and quiet, going right along with her good girl reputation.

Truthfully, Jax didn't really know Willow outside of the little he witnessed from club parties, the very few she and Nathan were present at the past few years.

He remembers when Nathan started prospecting for them, talking about the girl he was hung up on, how he was going to marry her some day.

When the kid brought her around for the first time, Jax couldn't help but scoff. The meek little 16 year old girl in a cheer outfit didn't scream bikers women.

But Nathan didn't listen to what anyone said, choosing her. Jax could respect that, even if he didn't think it would work out.

And Jax can admit when he's proven wrong. When Nathan said the girl was graduating, Jax thought his brother was about to endure what he had when Tara graduated, getting his ass left by his first love. But Nathan just came barreling into the clubhouse that day, holding hands with the now 18 year old town sweetheart, and declared they were getting married, He was surprised.

He still didn't think it would last, not thinking the sweet little thing could handle the life of being a Bikers old lady. But she had proved each and every one of them wrong. She was one of the best old ladies, second to his mom.

He still didn't really interact with her, choosing to spend his time drinking and with a different crow eater every night, but he observed enough, and had to hear enough from his mother.

Gemma never wasted a chance in telling him he needed to get an old lady like her, not spend his time with crow eaters, or his deadbeat of a wife, Wendy.

"Easy, Darlin." Jax takes a step closer to her, she looks pale, and he doesn't want her to hit the ground if she faints, "Just trying to keep you from bein arrested for assault. I doubt the charges would stick, grieving widow and all, but still."

Willow huffs, crossing her arms and glaring at the ground, "He shouldn't have come up to me."

"No, he shouldn't have." Jax nods, "We'll take care of it."

Willow looks up at him, watches him for a few seconds, before nodding, whispering out, "Thank you."

"It's what we're here for." He nods, putting his hands in his pockets. Looking at her, he can tell she hasn't slept much, if at all. She also looks skinnier, probably from not eating anything. She was already a tiny little thing, and he was sure a few more days going like she has and she would float away.

He makes a note to mention it to his mom, make sure she gets some food in her.

"You ready to go in there." He gestures to the church with his head.

She sighs, and her voice is even weaker than before, "I don't think I can."

The dejected expression on her face makes Jax's heart constrict, and his own grief for his fallen brother doesn't even fair in comparison to what hers must be. Hale was right about one thing, Nathan was a good man, one of the best. "We'll be right there with you, darlin. You won't be alone in this."

Willow looks over his shoulder to the church, seeing most everyone inside, apart from a prospect guarding the doors, and sighs one more time. She really doesn't want to go in, but she knows she has to. She looks over to Jax, someone she hasn't ever really spent a lot of time around, but he's in the club, the VP, and despite his many reputations, Nathan always spoke with respect about him, "Can you stay by me?"

Jax lifts one side of his mouth in what he hopes is a comforting smile, "Yeah, darlin. I got you."