Part 3 - The Interview

I knock on the door of the office of Nelson and Murdock. A pretty blond woman opens the door for me, her kind eyes and smile make me feel welcome.

"Hi, I'm Karen. You must be y/n."

"Yes, I am, pleasure to meet you Karen. I uhm, brought some cookies" I hold the basket up and her eyes widen with excitement, she gently takes the basket from me as I hold it out to her.

"Oh my goodness, this is a treat. You know y/n, I think I like you already."

I walk in and she trails behind me as I walk to the desk in the middle of room, sitting there is the man who I assume to be Mr. Nelson. He looks up at me and smiles widely, standing up and holding out a hand.

"Hi there! Foggy Nelson, great to meet you y/n."

I shake his hand and return his smile, I sit down in the chair on my side of the desk. I place my purse gently on the floor beside the chair.

Karen approaches Foggy, holding the basket.
"Y/n came baring gifts!"
Foggy looks at the basket the same way Karen had.
"You know, we can't accept bribery."
"Oh, I assure you that's not what I was-"
"No, I'm kidding, food is always welcome, God knows we need the energy."

I smile and look down at my hands for a second, then looking up, I realize someone is missing.

I look around for a second, before my eyes rest on the empty chair beside Foggy.

"Matthew should be here soon, he's usually fashionably late."

His comment earns a laugh from Karen and I. Foggy gets to business, he looks at his laptop screen, then back to me.

"Y/n y/l/n, freelance artist and graphic designer. Undergraduate degree in marketing and communications, graduated from one of the most prestigious art schools in the country. So, what leads you to apply for an assistant position with our firm? With that experience, I'd expect you to be working somewhere more suited to your skills."

"Honestly, recently it's been hard for me to find meaning in my life. Especially in my work. Life's been..let's just say rough for the past few years. And I've been restless. So, I figured I should find a job with consistency, maybe a small office. So when I saw the listing I knew it was exactly what I was looking for. Plus, I've always been interested in law, at one point I even considered going to law school to become a lawyer. But I decided that wasn't for me."

"Wow, ok. I like the Honesty."

Just then, Matthew comes in through the door.

"Sorry I'm late, traffic-"

He trails off with his thoughts, sensing you there. Matthew walks over to the desk, sitting beside Foggy.

"Hello Mr. Murdock."

"Hello Ms. y/l/n."

Karen and Foggy look at us, confused.
"Do you two know each other?" Karen asks.

"We're neighbors," I respond back. "I just moved in across the hall, last week actually."

"Hmm, ok" Foggy responds, looking at his computer then to Matthew. Matthew takes the hint.

"So, what can you bring to Nelson and Murdock?" He asks, leaning forward and resting his hands on the table as he does.

"Well, I'm a graphic designer. And I've worked in marketing for years, so I can help with your website and bring in more clients. I also could redecorate the office, if you'd like. And, I bake."

Matthew and Foggy turn to each other slightly, thinking.

"Will you excuse us for a moment?" Matthew says, he and Foggy stand up and go into Matthew's office. Karen follows them and closes the door.

I'm sitting here alone now. I tap my foot anxiously and fidget with my rings.

The door to the office opens, snapping me back to reality. Matthew stands in the doorway.

"You're hired."

I can't contain my excitement and a huge smile spreads across my face.

"When do I start?"

"As soon as possible, is Wednesday good for you?"

"Yes, yes it is! Thank you so much, I can't wait to work here. I uh, just one question. It said assistant, am I a personal assistant or just a general assistant?"

"Well, you're my assistant. But based on how our office works, you'll be doing more than that."

"Alright."

I stand from my chair and scoot it back towards the table, picking up my purse.

"I'll see you on Wednesday Mr. Murdock."

I shake his hand.

"Call me Matt."

"I'll see you on Wednesday, Matt."

I walk towards the door.

"I look forward to it."

There it is again. This time I turn and reply.

"So do I."

Matt smiles as I leave the office.

~~~

"Woody, I got the job!!" I grab Woody from his spot on the couch and hold him up excitedly, then hold him to my chest.

I pet his head as I walk over to my bedroom and sit on the corner of the bed, taking off my boots. I lay down, still holding him. He starts to purr loudly and I smile.

"This is going to be so great Woody." I whisper to him. "Y/n y/l/n, Matt Murdock's assistant. That sounds nice."

I snuggle up to Woody and drift off into a nap.