𝚃𝚑𝚎 𝚂𝚞𝚗

Comincia dall'inizio

She shooed you inside, closing the door behind you.

When the shock ceased, you spoke.

"Uhm, hello Your Highness. I've requested an audience with you today because, uh, I'm the person in charge of guiding Varian."

You left out a few words, which you did beat yourself up over, but all in all it brought the point across. Wonderful.

"Yes! I've heard. You know, I think you've done an incredible job so far! You can call me Rapunzel, 'Your Highness' is a bit too formal for my tastes."

You cocked an eyebrow.

"Thank you very much, but I haven't been able to gather much information at all...?"

Rapunzel only shook her head, silencing you with the gesture.

"On the contrary! The others couldn't even get him to reply! You've accomplished a real feat, (Y/N)!"

So she really was as kind as people said. Well, that didn't make you any less awkward.

You couldn't hold her penetrating gaze, looking off to the side and laughing dryly.

"Thank you, Rapunzel."

You cringed at yourself as you said the name. Not addressing her by her title was going to be rather hard.

"So, what do you need?"

She looks at you expectantly, and even though she gave off a sense of comfort and security, she still intimidated you.

"Well, you see, Varian told me that I should start by talking with you."

Nervous beyond relief, you fully forget your script and start to babble while talking with your hands.

"So that leads me to believe that you were a key factor in his actions - wait, no, that sounds bad. What I meant is, that you played an important role - no, that doesn't sound any better, does it?"

You were definitely sweating when you glanced at Rapunzel. For the first time during this conversation, her smile fell and she looked a bit pale.

Looking at her more closely, you could see something in her eyes - Guilt? Sadness? Regret? Before you could pinpoint it down, her smile returned, even if a tiny bit crooked. Without saying anything, she motioned for you to go on.

"Okay, let me reformulate that again. I think you may have to do something with the cause of his actions. I haven't been given any background information, so in order to start helping Varian I feel the need to investigate the happenings that led up to... well, this. I believe it will be beneficial if I understand where his emotions are coming from."

Rapunzel gave a curt and extremely tense "Mhm-hm!", nodding her head up and down in an exaggerating manner.

The atmosphere had turned even more awkward, which wasn't something you had deemed possible. The silence hung in the air, making you stress quite a bit.

Weren't you wasting her time? She most likely had other royal duties to attend to. Which could explain why she was suddenly behaving so strangely.

But a part of you told you that that wasn't the truth. After all, she had only started acting strange after you mentioned that you suspected that the events that had occurred had something to do with her.

Well, you had sugarcoated it a bit.

Since this is the only lead Varian gave you, you thought that it was an important clue. So maybe, everything led back to her. Maybe, she was the source.