Chapter 17: First Kiss and Gunshots

"Oh Yeah? I never thought I'd be so happy to see a potato" Lori spoke happily as a group of us stood in the kitchen. 

"I'm just glad were not roasting squirrels over a fire in the woods" I chuckled from my spot on top of the counter. Atticus was next to me, taking small bites from a carrot that Lori had handed him. 

"Thank you, Patricia, so much for letting us into your house" Lori thanked our host as her and Beth were assisting us in cooking dinner for everyone. 

"What's this?" I looked away from everyone, over my shoulder as Hershel was talking to Maggie and Beatrice in the other room. 

"Lori, Carol, and Faye are cooking dinner for us all tonight" 

"That's the first I've heard of it" The other women were busy with their tasks, so I softly kissed my son on his head before carefully getting off the counter and walking towards Hershel and his daughters'. 

"We didn't think it was that big a deal" Beatrice answered him as I hid behind a wall, leaning my head against it as I listened to the conversation. 

"They want to thank us for helping them" 

"We need to be setting clear boundaries with these people. They're getting a little too comfortable" 

"It's just dinner dad" Beatrice sounded annoyed. 

"What's going on with you two, the Asian boy, and the young mother" I felt my heart start beating a little faster as I peeked around the corner at Beatrice, who seemed shocked by her father's question. 

"Glenn"

"Faye. They're just our friends" 

"I rather they weren't" Beatrice glanced at Maggie before rolling her eyes as Maggie seemed irritated by their dad's statement. 

"Bad enough I have to chase Beth and Jimmy around" 

"Well, you don't have to chase us around. We're not 16" Beatrice remarked, crossing her arms as Maggie's expression softened. 

"I know you're not. That's why I'm counting on you two to be the mature ones. Especially you Maggie" Beatrice looked over at the doorway, but it was too late for me to duck out of view, making her eyes widen slightly before she turned back to her dad. 

"You know how I feel. Please don't make things harder than they need to be" I wasn't sure why, but my chest felt tight as I listened to his words. 

"I'm a little old for us to be having this conversation" Maggie pointed out, starting to walk out the other door. Beatrice just stood there, looking into space as if she was deep in thought. 

"Don't get close to them. They're not going to be around forever" Hershel turned to Maggie, but she just walked out of the room leaving her dad and sister alone, once again. 

"You know I supported you and your choices Bumble bee" Hershel turned back to Beatrice, grabbing her attention once again. 

"I never cared who you chose to be with, but that girl is not good for you" I swear I saw Beatrice's face grow red with anger as her eyes narrowed on her dad. 

"You don't know anything about her" 

"You're right, but she's a young single mother... That's a lot of responsibility that I don't think you are ready for" Hershel reached out to put his hand on her shoulder, but she took a step back, shaking her head with a bitter laugh. 

"She is just a friend, but even if she wasn't.... that's my decision and she is the strongest person I've ever met, so you don't get to judge her. She's special and that little boy of hers was raised right. Don't tell me who I can and can't be with, because I'm an adult now dad and unlike Maggie and Beth, I don't mind voicing it" Beatrice's voice was low and threatening as Hershel looked taken back by her speech. He opened his mouth to say something before he just sighed heavily and walked off in the direction that Maggie had left in. I waited a few minutes, watching tears well up in Beatrice's eyes as she sat down in a chair with her head in her hands.