Chapter 7

(Lewis's PoV)

It's been one week since we all got together, and a lot of us were kind of tense. Why hasn't anyone come to get us yet? Do they think there's no point?

"Lewis! A storms coming! We'd better get back to the others now." Duncan calls to me and I glance over.

He had come with me to collect fruit and stuff, probably from paranoia.

"Coming!" I call and I walk over, and we start going back.

"Dunc, I'm worried. Why haven't we gone to find Simon yet? I know that you two had a fight, but he's our brother. We can't leave him." I say and Duncan sighs.

"We don't need to find him. He probably doesn't want to be found." Duncan mutters and I look away, and then it starts to rain.

It starts to pour in a matter of seconds, and we start running, slipping in the sand as we go.

We get to camp and I see Hannah comforting a worried Sips, and we drop our fruit in a pile.

"Sips is still out there! What if he got caught up in the storm?" Paul says and Hannah grabs his arm.

"I'm sure Sips is ok. As soon as the storms over, I'll go with you to look for him. I promise." She says and he smiles lightly.

"Hey! Have you seen Kaeyi and my brothers? They went for a walk about a half hour ago." Ross asks and Kim looks at him, as does Martyn.

"Wait, how many of us are actually here?" Kim says, having to almost shout over the pounding of the rain.

There's just me, Hannah, Duncan, Kim, Martyn, Ross, Zoey and Lilian.

"PAUL!" Hannah shouts and we look out to see him taking off across the sand, and soon he is lost from sight.

Hannah starts running after him and I shout her name before starting to go after her, but Duncan stops me.

"I'll get them. Do not leave this shelter, Lewis. Promise you will not leave." Duncan says and I nod, and he runs after Hannah and Paul.

Ross and Kim are gone now too; going to find their siblings.

"Martyn, everyone's gone! What the hell do we do!" Zoey says, and Lilian starts to cry because of the shouting and the rain.

"We-We- I don't know! Everyone's been split up! We have to stay put. As much as it kills me not to go after Kaeyi, I know that Ross will take care of her. I know he will. We have to stay put." Martyn says and he's trembling. He's scared.

We all stay near the back of the shelter, helping to shield Lilian from the harsh wind and pouring rain.

(Hannah's PoV)

I run blindly through the jungle, having completely lost Paul at this point. I was just trying to find somewhere safe.

"PAUL! SIPS! ANYONE!" I yell as loudly as I can, before I hear a familiar sounding yell, and I sprint towards it.

"Sips!" I cry as I see the man laying on the ground, in a small shelter-like thing that is protecting his bloody body from the storm.

"Hannah..." He rasps and I kneel next to him, grabbing his hand.

"Sips... Oh my God, what do I do?" I say, panicked and he coughs.

"Hannah, my ribs have been crushed. I'm pinned under this rock. You have to leave me before it's too late. Before the beast that caused me to fall off of that cliff comes to get you." He says weakly and I shake my head, and I try to push the large rock off of his legs, but his screams of agony make me stop.

"Please, no... You let me say goodbye to my mum. You have me a last moment with her. I have to let you have a last moment with Paul." I say, choking up and he smiles weakly, as if it takes all of his energy just to do that.

"Paul... Hannah, tell Paul..." He says before the light in his eyes starts to dim.

"Tell Paul what? Sips, what do I need to tell him." I say, trying to make the dying man hold on, the storm that caused so much pain raging on.

"I love.... Him...." He whispers so quietly I barely hear him, but I hear him louder and clearer than anything before.

His whole body shudders and then the light in his cheerful eyes is gone. Chris Lovas, the man who kept my mother alive for long enough so that I could say goodbye, the man who kept his love for Paul Sykes a secret, was gone.

I sit there and I cry, still holding his hand. Then, I hear a noise behind me, coming from the jungle.

I stand slowly and I brush some of my soaked hair out of my face, water dropping into my eyes. I hear a yell and I scream, and a man charges out of the jungle, holding a bow, loaded with an arrow.

He stands in front of me and fires into the jungle, where a howl of pain sounds, before it subsides.

The man turns to me and I stand there, trembling, cold, and distraught after Sips death.

I stand protectively in front of Sips body, and the man kneels before me.

"Are you alright? Did that beast hurt you in any way? I see that I was too late to save your friend, and I'm so sorry." The man asks concerned, and I am barely able to shake my small head.

"Good. I'm Simon, by the way." He says and I look at him sharply, the grief still on my face.

"Simon? Are you..." I start to say before I fall, a wave of cold sweeping over me. It now occurs to me that I had been out in the storm for well over an hour.

This Simon guy catches me and looks back at Sips, before he starts running through the jungle, and I let my blue eyes close, and I slip into a peaceful darkness.