Scarlet's Descent Into Harm's Way CH-5

The woodsmen brace for battle. Scarlet edges to the corner of the room. A guttural growl tears from the wolf’s throat as it pounces on the taller one. Scarlet slips out of the door into the hallway. Pudgy breaks for the door, but the wolf slams it shut.

     Scarlet’s eyes widen at the horrific sounds on the far side of the door. A final exaggerated crashing window sound ends the melee. She cringes. And then silence. At the floor, a faint sheet of light escapes under the door, as if escaping into the dark hallway.

     Scarlet’s pupils widen. She waits for the next sound. A sign. Anything. The silence unnerves her, creeping across her goose-pimpled skin like tiny ants. She wraps her bodice closed and folds her arms across her chest. Still, the silence wraps her ears like a wool scarf.

     She extends her hand toward the doorknob. Twisting slowly, she pushes the door open. Light floods her dilated pupils. Almost blinding. As her eyes adjust, Scarlet stares, mouth agape, at the devastation. Dresser broken. Mirror smashed. Window blown out. An olive-skinned, dark-haired mass of rippling muscles with familiar eyes stands alone in the midst of the chaos. His grayish-green eyes bore straight through her, igniting her core with their golden flecks.

     Thrumming warmth curling through her, Scarlet steps toward the handsome beast. Her eyes trail the tribal tattoo that winds around his shoulders and crawls across his muscular chest. Her gaze descends, skimming over his defined abs to below his navel.

     Scarlet’s lips begin to form the word “who,” yet end saying, “wow!”

     The gorgeous creature speaks, “Those guys won’t be bothering you or your Nana ever again. I’ve seen to that.”

     Who? What guys? Who’s Nana? Scarlet’s mind is momentarily wiped clean by the vision before her eyes. “Thank you–” she manages in a breathy whisper.

     “I’m Kalen, by the way. Where’s that wine? I’m parched.”

     Still sweetly suspended in a hazy mist of immediate arousal, she walks over to her upturned basket to get the bottle of wine. Wait, how did he know I had wine?

     As she stands, Kalen is upon her, his chest to her back, his hands smoothing from her shoulders to her thin waist. He pulls her to him, strong hands gripping her hips. A deep inhale fills her lungs with his sultry scent. She closes her eyes, keenly aware of her own growing desire, allowing the stranger’s want to thread with her own.

     He grabs the wine bottle in his right hand, uncorking it with his thumb. Sweeping up to her neck, his left hand arcs her chin backward. Her fiery tendrils cascade over his clavicle. Rosy neck exposed, Scarlet parts her red lips expectantly. Kalen fountains the wine into her mouth from above. Struggling to swallow it all, some wine spills down her chin and neck, cascading over her breasts and under her shirt. She reaches behind her and grabs Kalen’s hip.

     After draining the rest of the wine, Kalen wheels Scarlet around and crushes a kiss against her full lips, hungrily forcing them apart with his own. She tastes the full-bodied wine dancing on his tongue, savoring his essence.

     She slides her hands up to his bulging shoulders, fisting his long, dark hair. Scarlet moans into his mouth as she drags her fingernails down the muscular ridges of his back. Pulling him closer. Molding into him.

     Kalen threads his fingers through Scarlet’s flame-red tendrils and pulls her hair back sharply, exposing her neck again to his urgent hunger. He grabs the back of her neck and pulls it to his mouth. She feels his tongue dancing circles along her neck’s soft curvature. The danger in Kalen’s touch causes her pulse to quicken.

      She closes her eyes when Kalen nibbles her neck. She can feel her pulse pounding between his lips. Jolts of pleasure shoot straight to her core.

     Just as Scarlet begins to lower herself in front of Kalen, a frail voice sails through the air, “Scaaaarlet?”

     Breathless and mortified, Scarlet breaks contact with Kalen’s delectable skin to see her Nana stumbling from the closet, holding her head of silvery hair.

     “Scarlet? Is that you?” Nana stammers in a high- pitched, grandmotherly tone. “Where did you come from, baby? And what happened to your clothes? And wh-who is your friend? Young man, put some clothes on!”

     “Yes, Ma’am,” Kalen clears his throat, flashing a heart melting smile toward Scarlet. “I’m just glad that you two are all right. Actually, I should be going. I’m suddenly rather ravenous.”

     “Will I see you again?” Scarlet’s eyes sparkle with lustful anticipation.

     “There’s an All Hallows Eve party nearby. Aren’t you headed there?” Kalen asks.

     Scarlet looks around her Nana’s bedroom. “I should help clean up here a bit. I don’t think I’ll be able to make it after all.”

     “Well–“ A wicked grin spreads across Kalen’s face as his smoldering eyes hold Scarlet’s. “I have quite the appetite for feisty red-heads so certainly I’ll have you for dinner one evening.”

     Scarlet licks her lips. “I’d like that.”