Chapter 7

Third P.O.V.

Layra was standing with her grandmother and cousins as they waited for the court to start.

Layra's hair & dress

Layra felt eyes on her and she knew it was her mother but doesn't turn

She looks over at Aemond who smiled at her quickly and she smiles back. Baela and Rhaena caught the look and smiled at each other and then their cousin who just gives them a look.

"Though it is the great hope of this court that Lord Corlys Velaryon survive his wounds, we gather here with this grim task of dealing with the succession of Driftmark." Otto says and everyone quiets down to listen. "As Hand, I speak the King's voice on this and all other matters. The crown will now hear the petitions."

"Ser Vaemond of House Velaryon." An announcer says and said man steps away from his nieces and stood in the middle of court.

"My Queen. My Lord Hand." Vaemond says as Layra had worried eyes.

Layra noticed how Daemon kept staring at him. So she decided to keep her eye on the man.

"The history of our noble houses extends beyond the Seven Kingdoms to the days of Old Valyria.
For as long as House Targaryen has ruled the skies, House Velaryon has ruled the seas.
When Doom fell on Valyria, our houses became the last of their kind.
Our forebearers came to this new land, knowing that were they to fail, it would mean the end to their bloodlines and their name.
I have spent my entire life on Driftmark defending my brother's seat.
I am Lord Corlys closest kin, his own blood. Including Princess Layra." Vaemond says

Layra quickly looked to her uncle as everyone turned to her.

"Why the fuck was I put into this?" Layra mumbled only her grandmother and cousins catching it.

"The true, unimpeachable blood of House Velaryon runs through my veins." Vaemond said.

"As it does my sons, the offspring of Laenor Velaryon." Rhaenyra spoke up and Layra rolled her eyes.