chapter ten.

【 CHAPTER TEN 】

TSU'TEY'S paint covered fingers glided along Ruth's skin under the soft glow of the burning fire they sat near in Hometree

TSU'TEY'S paint covered fingers glided along Ruth's skin under the soft glow of the burning fire they sat near in Hometree. They faced each other as they sat on the ground, legs crossed while the future Olo'eyktan worked diligently on her ceremonial paint while keeping close attention to detail. His touch was like lightning against her body as his gaze remained focused on the swirls and shapes he painted all over her, while her mind remained wholly focused on him. Her eyes followed him with gentle admiration as he moved, so focused on her and where he touched her and the marks that were left behind. He was gentle, as if she were the most delicate of flowers he didn't want to wilt. Part of her wished his hands would wander everywhere.

She was scared in the simplest of terms for what she would soon take part in. The statistical reality that even the Na'vi themselves sometimes didn't survive the dream hunt was enough the strike fear into her bones, but she'd come to far already to backdown. She would be one of the people soon, she'd told herself anytime she grew nervous. She'd trained hard and remained steadfast.

You will not yield. She said it over and over anytime the fear crept up on her.

After dipping his fingers into the bowl-fashioned gourd full of white tinted body paint, Tsu'tey's fingers wandered to her face, the only portion of her skin that hadn't already been covered. His three fingers moved together to make symmetrical patterns on either side of her face, forcing her to make an effort to hide the shivers his touch caused. He gently brushed aside a long braid that that normally rested against her cheek, one of many she'd gained as her hair had grown while being let free. Some of the women of the clan had been kind enough to fashion braids all throughout her hair over the passed months, adding beads and even a small feather.

Since their talk at site 26, the previous few days had been different. She remained warm of heart anytime she recalled their conversation, that he indeed felt the same she did. As for him, Tsu'tey did not carry himself so much in his typical stoic indifference, instead appearing in someway to have found some peace. She wasn't sure what he might have said to Sylwanin or what she in turn had to say to him, but the communion he'd held with her had obviously made a change. As well had their admittance to desires that were once stifled, but that was an entirely different beast to be tackled on its own.

He stood first after the painting was finished, offering a hand to help her up. She took it, rising to her feet but never taking her eyes away from him. The two of them lingered for a moment, looking into each others eyes as they were a mere half foot apart. She saw a thousand unspoken words in the gaze he held with her, her tongue desiring to speak her own. Yet, this ceremony she would soon take part in could very well kill her. Perhaps each others presence and silent knowledge was all they needed before she took her last step toward becoming one of the people.

He dipped his head by way of acknowledgment, giving a gentle squeeze to her hand she forgotten he hadn't let go of. He pulled away and stepped off to begin leading her toward the ceremony.