[ 𝟙𝟠 ] b r o t h e r s

| 28 November |

When I woke up the next morning, I found the other side of the bed strangely empty. Stumbling downstairs to the kitchen, I heard the sound of yelling. I was instantly awake. Speeding up my steps, I was met by a shocking sight.

"-no reason to be here!" Sirius's arms were flailing about.

Standing opposite to my husband, was someone I wanted at our wedding, yet didn't come. His hair was dark, just like his eyes. But his heart wasn't.

"Regulus..." I breathed, my steps coming to a stop.

"Alexandra..." His eyes met mine. My gaze began to mist up.

"Why... why are you here?" I questioned, walking closer.

"He shouldn't be." I heard Sirius's stubborn tone.

"I wanted to see you. Both of you." Regulus begun, "But maybe this was a mistake. I'll leave now."

He started walking backwards, eyes shifting between me and Sirius.

"As you should!" Sirius burst out, standing in front of me. Within seconds, I heard the door open and close. The shock in my veins turned into sadness, then anger.

"Well-" Sirius began turning around. My hands shoved his chest, pushing him away from me.

"What the fuck was that?!" I burst out. His eyes were wide. "Regulus came to see us! And I come in to see you yelling at him!"

"Lexi, what's wrong? Why... why are you so angry?"

"Because my best friend from school finally came and within seconds of seeing him, he left! How do you expect me to react?! What right do you have?!" My throat was raw from yelling at the top of my lungs, my face already wet.

His posture instantly straightened. "You're my wife. And he's my brother."

"So what? You have a past, so does everyone. He might've come to apologise! Now we'll never know because you sent him away!"

"No. I didn't. He chose to leave." He bit back.

"Because you were acting like a dick! Anyone would flee if someone acted like that."

"Flee." He said sarcastically, "That's what you call it? He's a coward! At the first sight of an argument, danger, basically anything, he runs with his tail between his legs!"

"From what I've heard, so did you." He didn't respond after the words left my mouth.

"You don't know anything about that." He said, the air tensing between us. His eyes were dark, mouth pressed in a thin line.

"You left him alone. You left him to face your consequences. He was forced to become a Death Eater. Forced! Do you know how many times he cried on my shoulder?! How many times his heart broke when he saw you and James acting like brothers?! He was that brother! Don't you feel any regret?! You ran away from it all!"

"I'm not the only one who ran." My jaw feel open.

"Don't you-" He cut me off.

"You ran too. Couldn't you take it? The pureblood life. You were a Slytherin, you had everything in your reach. You were the 'Pureblood Princess'. So don't you speak to me about running, what consequences did you face?! Were you crucio-ed? Were you left bleeding in your house when your parents had enough of your actions?! Of course I ran! I wasn't going to stay where I wasn't needed! I-"

"Wasn't needed! Fuck that! Regulus needed you! He needed his brother!"

"And I needed my life." He responded. "What did you need? A little space? Parents refuse to buy you a diamond necklace?" He questioned mockingly.

"I knew I would be married off! I'd be married to a man twice my age! No one seemed to give a shit! As soon as I got to Hogwarts, everything I knew wasn't true! I didn't know who I was, and no one was there for me. I met El, and she supported me. So did Regulus. I wasn't going to stay with the people who were meant to be my family. They didn't care! I would be sold off for an alliance. My brothers were shit at being there for me. And when Voldemort arose, I was not going to join him! I wanted my own life!" I yelled every word. It seemed to pierce my heart as I relived my past.

Breathing heavily, I rested against the wall, "Can't you understand that?"

My eyes squeezed shut. It was the first time I'd admitted everything to someone. I heard Sirius sigh, my eyelids fluttered open as a hand cupped my cheek.

"I can. I- I'm sorry." Sirius apologised, "Seeing him after so long just made me snap."

I opened my eyes, turning my head; making his hand fall. 

"I need some time." 

I heard his breathing hitch for a second at my words. Out of the corner of my eyes, I saw him step back, his face showing utter heartbreak. I looked away, knowing if I saw it again I'd lose my resolve. Gathering my remaining strength, I pushed of the wall, heading to the front door. 

"Lexi!" He managed, a crack in his voice. I could hear him crying. "Promise me you'll come back."

I didn't turn to see his face. 

"I promise."

I walked out the door, closing it behind me. The instant it closed, the tears came. My breathing was strangled, and I placed a hand on the wall to keep me standing. 

How did everything go wrong so fast?