Steve dropped beside Lonnie on the floor, ignoring me and dived into the peanut butter jar. "I don't know. Maybe you could starve or try eating healthy for a change." He shrugged.

     "You eat chocolate bars. For breakfast. So don't act like you're so healthy too." I retorted and snatched the bag of bread from his grasp.

"And as I recall you begged me for half of it—which I gave you." He grinned, taking a slice of bread from the bag and stuffing it in his mouth.

     "Okay, how about we all just agree to collectively ignore Steve," I smiled sarcastically.

Lonnie looked from me then to Steve, then back at me again. "How can I when he's eating the peanut butter like it'll be his last meal."

"So we all agree? Steve eats like a slob," Annie giggled.

"Hey, hey, hey. Could you guys stop ganging up on my best friend?" Soda started.

"Although the last time he ate chocolate cake, half of it ended up on his face."

"And the other half was on his shirt." I smirked.

"Since when did we decide that I'm a slob!" Steve grumbled. "Have you seen Soda's kid brother? He eats like a pig."

     "So are you giving me the advice or what?" I asked.

Soda stifled a laugh before turning to look at me. "I didn't actually have advice for you, I just wanted to get out of the house."

"Yeah, Darry's on one of his 'spring cleaning' kicks." Steve added.

     About once every few months Darry gets sudden spurts of energy and cleans the Curtis house from top to bottom—when that's done he heads over to my house.

     And unless you want to spend hours cleaning with him, you run out of the house at the first sight of a broom before he ropes you in.

Once you hear The Beatles playing throughout the house you know it's all over.

     "Wait, where are the others?" Annie asks.

     Soda just shook his head dramatically. "We lost Two-Bit, Dally, and Delancy to the cause."

     "You're telling me those 𝟥 are actually working? Like they're cleaning up and everything?" I asked incredulously. The thought of Dally and Delancy in matching aprons made me laugh—just a little.

     "Lord knows Darry's gonna make them work," Lonnie commented.

     "This I've gotta see!" Annie declared.

      All 𝟧 of us jumped up and ran—well all of us except for Steve, who was too busy balancing the bread and peanut butter—all the way to the Curtis house.

I quickly ran ahead of the others and walked inside, seeing as the door was unlocked, and was met by Darry who was holding a sponge and bucket.

"Thank God the rest of you are here." He started. "Two-Bits already managed to spill a whole bottle of window cleaner."

"Actually-," I replied, but was cut off with Delancy tossing me a broom.

"It's too late to save yourself." she grunted. By now Darry was ushering me towards the bathroom as I saw the others make a run for it.

     "Cowards!"

An hour had gone by and Darry had pretty much passed out on the couch while he was dusting. The others left immediately but I decided to finish up the dishes before leaving.