Chapter 33 - A Fateful Dinner Date

Start from the beginning

She had removed most of Skye's new mess and begun working her way through the old one when a clicking sound on the window caught her attention. The small owl sitting outside hooted as Lizzie let it in, gratefully nibbling on the treat it was offered in exchange for the letter tied to its leg.

Lizzie frowned when she read the name on the back. Why would Erika Rath send her a letter? They had seen each other the day before, and even so, they had never been more than friends by association. What did she want from her?

Now thoroughly intrigued, Lizzie cracked open the seal. What was inside the envelope was more of a note than an actual letter; in true Erika-fashion, she had come straight to the point.

We need to talk. It's important.
Meet me at the Three Broomsticks, seven o'clock.
    Erika

P.S.: Don't tell Parkin.

Lizzie read the note again in wonder. What could be so important that Erika couldn't tell her in her letter and that they had to meet straight away? And why couldn't she tell Skye?

Seeing as she wouldn't find out unless she went and met her, Lizzie decided on a change of plans. She had only wanted to get changed and sort a few things before heading back to Orion's, but that would have to wait now. A smile formed on her lips. They weren't in a hurry. Once everything was settled, they would have all the time in the world.

Fetching a piece of parchment, ink, and a dishevelled quill from the kitchen drawers, Lizzie scribbled down her answer and a quick note to Orion before sending them off. When the owl had gone, she turned back to the mess in the kitchen with a sigh.

Now, all she had to do was wait.

***

The sun had set when Lizzie arrived at the Three Broomsticks, one of the two pubs located in Hogsmeade Village. Waving a greeting at Madam Rosmerta, the Three Broomsticks' landlady, she cast a searching look around for Erika.

She found her sitting at the back of the room at a small table by the roaring fireplace. She was reading through a stack of parchment, two pints of ale already sitting in front of her. As Lizzie approached, she looked up from her work, neatly folded the documents and put them into an envelope in the pocket of her jacket.

Lizzie was surprised to note that Erika was dressed in a smartly-looking suit, her pale blonde hair pulled back into a low ponytail. She looked like a businesswoman and made Lizzie - herself wearing only ripped jeans, a jumper and worn-out boots - feel distinctly underdressed.

"Hi, Erika," Lizzie said as she sat across from her, "long time no see."

"If you consider twenty-four hours long."

"Your letter made me curious. If this is about Skye, though..."

"It's not."

"Oh," Lizzie said, slightly taken aback. "Then what can I help you with?"

"Nothing. But I can help you."

Now, Lizzie was thoroughly confused. "How would that be?"

"I thought about what you told me yesterday. At the ball," she added, mildly impatient at the blank look on Lizzie's face, "when we were talking about your future with the Wanderers."

It took Lizzie a moment to recall what Erika meant. With everything that had happened after, she had almost forgotten about speaking with her in the first place.

"Yes, I remember."

"Good. You were wondering whether Wigtown was the end of your road. I don't think it should be, so I spoke with my bosses."