𝚁𝚘𝚌𝚔𝚢 𝙱𝚎𝚐𝚒𝚗𝚗𝚒𝚗𝚐𝚜

Start from the beginning

"Right. I don't know you, you don't know me. I don't trust you, you sure as hell don't trust me. Just look at you, all tense, even with these bars separating us"

He rattled the bars for emphasis, a ghost of a smile on his face before his face fell at your non-reaction.

"This won't amount to anything. I can assure you, I will not open up to you, nor anyone. Might want to write that down for the report."

You glanced at the paper that you had neatly placed on your lap, frowning in frustration.

Right, you still had to fill that out.

Name, Name of the criminal, notes about the conversation, goal.

You tapped your quill on the paper.

"Your name?"

"Hm?"

"I asked you for your name."

"Oh. Varian. Don't wear it out."

Ah, his name was Varian. Well, Varias wasn't too far off.

You quickly scribbled it down.

But you weren't going to write 'no compliance' into the currently empty conversation field. You weren't going to be satisfied with that.

"Okay. Varian. Look, I don't want to be here either, alright? I don't want to talk to you. I see no reason to help you. To be frank, I have absolutely no idea what I'm doing here."

You took a deep breath, closing your eyes for a brief moment

"There is nothing that's holding me here. I'm not saying you're a lost cause, because I don't think that, and I can't fathom the amount of pain you must've gone through to make you commit the crimes you have either."

You glared at him through the iron bars keeping you apart, although he probably couldn't see it anyway, due to the lack of light

"And I definitely didn't come here to hear you whine about your life, if that's what you were thinking. There is nothing that can excuse your actions. But there for sure is an explanation. I'm here to try and help you sort through your emotions. I am not here to play all buddy-buddy with you. Your actions affected people, and I can't forgive you for that. The only thing I want, is for you to at least tolerate my existence and to at least give me a shred of information. I am not going to leave empty handed."

That shut him up.

Varian stared at you for a few seconds.

Well, he definitely hadn't heard that before. To a degree, it was kind of refreshing to hear someone who didn't just sugar-coat everything and who didn't belittle him.

But it also annoyed him. Two emotions that didn't mix very well.

At least you weren't as bad as the other ones. He could give you that. You were intriguing in the slightest.

Maybe that was just his insanity talking. He hadn't had much contact to people after being thrown into jail.

At least he had the luxury of having a cell of his own, for now.

But the way you glared at him through the bars of his cell, with so much determination, made it known that you would definitely stay there until you got your progress.

He took a closer look at you, which was kind of hard with the lack of light. He could barely make out your features, but you looked vaguely familiar.

"Hey, aren't you (L/N)'s kid?"

"I'm pretty sure that I'm a bit older than you. But yes, I am."

"Tell your parents I said thanks for the glass spheres they custom made for me. I appreciated it."

"Don't switch the subject."

Varian clicked his tongue, leaning back lazily.

The light from the window illuminated his face, and that was the first time you could truly see him.

His eyes were a bit red and swollen, making it obvious that he had been crying.

It was a bit too early to bring that up though, so you kept quiet. He would've gotten defensive, you were sure of it.

After a short while, he gave you the bit of information you wanted.

"Rapunzel."

"The princess?"

"Yep. Might want to start with her. That's all I'm telling you."

Well, that wasn't much, but it sufficed. For now.

Now you just had to ask for an audience with the princess.

Notes:

- he seems to carry some dislike towards princess Rapunzel

Goal:

- gaining Varian's trust