8 - Too much

ROSE

The next day came too soon for me. The sunlight broke through the large buildings, hitting my face most unpleasantly. I squinted my eyes, noticing the lack of warmth on my lap instantly. I looked around, panicked, but let out a sigh of relief as I saw Ariel nipping at my shoe.

I smiled, gently petting her head. It was a wonder I had survived the night in the alley. Yes, I could have stayed in the bookstore, but after crying my heart out with Ariel who just licked my tears away, I simply couldn't move.

I needed every speck of warmth the universe allowed me.

I stood up slowly, watching the orange-painted sky. I dusted myself off, cringing at how I smelled. My clothes were ruined. I walked to the bookstore, pulled the keys out of my jeans, and opened it.

The bookstore always seemed haunted before it opened, especially during sunrise. I watched as the golden letters on the spine of various books glistened. I was calm, for a moment, and then I wasn't.

I sat down on my regular seat and clutched my forehead, squeezing my eyes shut. I didn't know what was wrong with me. There were many reasons why I allowed him to hurt me, again and again, but I knew none of them were good enough. My mother would find out one day, she surely would...and then would she blame me?

Rose, why did you stay?

But, mom...I squeezed my eyes shut. Where can I go?

The bookstore was all we had. We had no other real source of income. If they took this from us, we would have absolutely nothing. We had a few thousand dollars in the bank, but how long would it take for the accounts to dry out?

Not too long.

We needed his mother. She was a good lawyer, someone who helped people like us.

Like he was helping me....he just lost control sometimes. It was okay. I was tough, even though he didn't think I was. I could take it. I stretched back in my chair. Now, the sunlight infiltrated the store as it owned it. I smiled as Ariel squeezed herself into the store through the slightly open door, I had left it like that for her.

Soon the store filled up and Alexander was a no-show. My mother didn't show up till midday and frowned as if hurt when I said her new favorite employee had decided to take a day off.

"He didn't tell me," mom said.

"You should fire him," I said while straightening up a few books. People who claimed to love books seemed to have a habit of tossing books anywhere when they didn't own them. "He is too tall, too. He takes up too much space. And he's too pretty. People come just to look at him. This isn't a strip club, mom."

She chuckled, gently smiling. "Why do you hate him?"

"I don't know."

I didn't hate him. Alexander felt safe and that put me on edge. Why the actual fuck did a stranger feel safe? I wasn't brave, I was wary of people, even though I did have a big mouth. But he just...

He just felt good.

And that made no sense. Zero. Zilch.

Mom and I cleaned up and I asked her to leave first so that she wouldn't figure out that I planned to sleep here. I put down a small bowl of food for Ariel and gave her all the pets she needed as she ate. She had grown stronger. She was so brave.