7 - Sobbed

"In every word I write I see you. You've become my language."

- V(me)

. . .

Rose

He was such a little shit. Wait, not a little shit. He was a big shit. A giant enormous shit with a too pretty face.

I watched as he took his sweet time sipping his coffee, his one arm around me tightly which prevented me from moving at all, not that I was trying to move. I was cold. It was too cold in New York today and I was, in no way, dressed for the weather.

"This doesn't mean anything," I said to him, or myself.

"Really? I was just about to get on a knee and ask for your hand, Rose," He mocked with an amused smile, sipping his coffee again. His adam's apple moved slowly and then my eyes shifted to the part of his neck which seemed a little...weird.

The skin seemed a little uneven. Looking closely, I could tell he had hidden a scar, a scar which disappeared into his clothes.

Alexander looked at me, his playful expression gone. "See something?"

"You are hiding a big ass scar," I muttered. "But we don't have to talk about it!" I had my fair share of scars, and I could not picture talking about them to anyone.

His eyes flickered over my face. He did that a lot, looking all over my face as if searching for something. I was practised in hiding my emotions from my mother, someone who I had always been closest to, there was no way he could read me.

"I don't want to talk about it," he said and I nodded.

"Okay." I sipped my coffee. "I should not be sitting on your lap."

"Why? It's a perfect spot for you and you look comfortable." He smirked at me, sipping his coffee. "And I'm warm, aren't I?"

"Yeah yeah. Whatever." I gulped my coffee down. "I have a boyfriend."

"And I don't have a fuck to give about that." He took a tiny sip of his coffee. I was positive he was dragging this out.

I looked away from him and my eyes fell on a woman. A blond woman with bright blue eyes. She looked at me and then at Alexander. She looked a lot like him.

"Is that your sister?"

"I don't ha- yes." His eyes fell on her. "Yes. That's my sister. Excuse me, Rose." He sat me down on his seat, walking away.

I set my elbows on the table, watching as he approached her. The woman was beautiful with shining blond hair and perfect skin. She was dressed in a leather coat and high heeled boots. She looked expensive.

Did Alexander belong to a rich family?

Why would a rich guy work at a bookstore?

They talked for a while, it looked casual but I could see the tension in Alex's shoulders, the extra clenching of his jaw. They conversed for a while and then soon, they stopped.

Alex came back but didn't put me on his lap. He sat across from me and smiled gently. "Did you finish your coffee?"

I nodded. "Yes." I looked at his sister as she exited, mingling into the night. "She is beautiful."

"She is," He agreed, finishing his coffee. "Come on, let me walk you home."

It felt like he was trying to get rid of me.

I nodded wordlessly and stood up. He didn't wrap his arm around me as we walked out of the cafe and to where my apartment building was. We were silent. I felt hesitant. His face was stone, holding absolutely nothing.

"Rose."

"Yes?" We stopped in front of the apartment building. The wind was soft, gently blowing at my hair. I looked up at him looking down at me. His eyes flickered all over my face.

He sighed, shaking his head. "Nothing. You should go up."

I paused but then nodded. I climbed the staircase to my apartment. I searched my pants for my keys but my heart stopped as the door opened.

Jeffery leaned against the door frame. He looked dangerous half-naked, his eyes had that insane edge in them - edge which I feared with everything I had. He took my shaking hand in his, ignoring me as I furiously shook my head, tears spilling out already. "Jeffery, Please."

He smiled gently, tucking me to his chest as he closed the door, locking it shut. He rubbed the back of my head, his one arm keeping me crushed against his chest. "Rose," he cooed. What is the first rule?"

I was shaking too much, the calmness Alex had given me was gone, replaced by raw fear.

"D-Don't go out with any man."

"What did you do?"

"He...He just walked me home! I swear."

He hummed, still rubbing the back of my head gently. I winched every time his hand inched closer to my neck.

His one hand travelled down to my bruised ribs, gently tracing them over the fabric. I braced myself for the pain.

It never came.

He opened the door and threw me outside, my head hit the floor. The world tilted. I made no move to pick myself up. "A week sleeping in your stupid bookstore will teach you to be a little more grateful, don't you think? Get the fuck out of here before I break that pretty face of yours." He slammed the door shut. I flinched, a whimper leaving my lips as my head throbbed.

I stood up on shaky legs, taking deep breaths to calm myself down. I dragged myself to the lift, pressing the down button. Soon I was back in the dark night, shaking to the bone because of how cold I was. My forehead wasn't bleeding.

I closed my eyes and opened them as I slowly walked back to the bookstore. Tears spilt out of my eyes. I didn't deserve this.

I walked to the alley where Ariel was. I moved the boxes, heaving her soft meow. I sat down beside her, pulling the boxes closer to us. I knew this was not safe, at all. But I couldn't bring myself to care. Ariel shifted closer to me, seeking warmth even though she had a thick blanket with her. I pulled her on my lap and pulled the blanket over us, holding her close to me. I dug my face into her fur and sobbed.

. . .

°-° sed