𝗰𝗵𝗮𝗽𝘁𝗲𝗿 𝘀𝗲𝘃𝗲𝗻𝘁𝗲𝗲𝗻

Start from the beginning

Yifan had changed out of his travel clothes and into regal viridian robes that made him look every bit of the clan leader that he had been forced to become. He stood chest to chest with her, compelling her to stumble back while he obstructed her path.

"Her Grace needn't leave on my behalf," he said plainly, sneering down at her momentarily. The expression on his face morphed into a diplomatic one as he lowered his head in respect towards Lord Park and Master Heo.

The men exchanged bewildered looks but before they could say anything, a blur of bright green shot towards Gaeun. A full head shorter than Gaeun and made of gangly limbs, Yiwei threw his arms around her with pure joy, "Master!"

"I'm not your Master," Gaeun refuted but embraced him back affectionately, "I wasn't your training officer nor were you an Academy student."

She had met Wang Yiwei long ago when the then-eight-year-old had snuck into the barracks to see his beloved brother. Since Yiwei was her partner's family, it was Gaeun's lawful duty to protect him—a duty she had accepted from the moment she had laid eyes on the innocent boy and felt a stir of emotions. Had I lived with my family, she remembered thinking while Yiwei looked up at her in awe, perhaps I would've been to my brothers what this child is to Yifan and me.

Yiwei pressed his temple against her shoulder and mumbled into the fabric of her sleeve, "You left without saying goodbye."

"There was no time for that, little pup," she said softly before stepping away from him, "Congratulations on your admittance. Songrim will do you good."

"Tell that to my mother," Yifan grumbled, politely smiling at the elders in the room.

"I'd rather kill myself."

"Sounds like an absolute win." He paid no attention to the withering glare she shot him and flicked the back of his brother's head, "Stop gaping, fool, and show her some respect. Embarrassing yourself and the clan by hurling yourself at Her Grace like the imbecilic child you are—"

Gaeun interrupted him sharply, clearly unhappy with his choice of words, "There is no need for such severity. Yiwei is your brother and he is a child—"

"He is fourteen—"

"—a child—"

As the bickering grew in volume and in insults, Yiwei looked at the older men casually and shrugged. "It's alright, my Lords," he sighed, "They fight over me like this all the time. My brother doesn't mean any of the harshness he exhibits while Her Grace is just very protective of me. And I am no one to complain when they both adore me."

The men echoed in mutual confusion, "Her Grace?"

Meanwhile, Gaeun's fingers twitched with the all too familiar need to rip out Yifan's hair. As the argument increased, she was sure he felt the same. "That's enough!" She cut him off, "I am already overwhelmed with worries. I would prefer not to add you to the list."

"Oh, aren't you doing me a favour," Yifan snarked back as she shoved past him and angrily exited the office.

Leaning towards Sangho inconspicuously, Lord Park kept his eyes trained on Gaeun's retreating back as he nervously mumbled from the corner of his mouth, "Bring me the Merchant's Registry, will you?"

♕♕

The guards had stopped Gaeun from seeing Wook until Master Heo huffed at them to step aside. "She's his wife, you blithering idiots," he shook his fist at the guards, forcing them to reluctantly step aside, "Why would you stop her but allow the maid in?" Danggu ducked behind Gaeun to narrowly dodge the old man's swinging fist.