DON'T CLOSE YOUR EYES

Start from the beginning

"Say yes, herbivore."

You were going to reject his so-called "generous offer", but you were cut off by a deep voice. Of course, you could recognize that voice without looking at its owner, but you didn't want to accept that. You didn't want to accept the fact that it was Leona Kingscholar who was telling you to sacrifice your freedom in return for his own. You slowly turned towards him and you couldn't but stop and widened your eyes when you saw that emotionless look on his face.

Seeing the shock and confusion on your face, Leona didn't show any hesitation. "We're not even talking about taking your life, and I will be free. I consider it a worthy deal," he said with a small shrug.

"What..." you couldn't believe what he was saying. Leona Kingscholar, the person who you just risked your life to save, the person who told you that he understood your feelings, betrayed you at the very last moment. It was nothing you had expected, after all these. It felt like your heart dropped all of a sudden, and you couldn't compress that feeling of hollowness gushed from your chest.

"HAHAHAHA!!" Tarhan laughed his head off when he heard Leona's response and saw that disappointed look on your face. Even he didn't expect this dramatic plot twist.

"I thought you two were having some kind of umm... special relationship, but I guess I was wrong." Tarhan teased.

Leona turned to Tarhan, and moved his eyes back to the ground, "As long as I am safe. That's what matters. Simple math." He then looked up to you with those emerald eyes again, "This is the only way we can live."

You weren't sure about that, and you were too disappointed to believe that, but somehow you felt that Leona was trying to tell you something.

"We will be fine. Trust me." you all of a sudden remember the "lip message" Leona gave you. It might be foolish, but somehow, out for an unknown reason, even in such a situation, you wanted to trust him.

"I guess the Great Tarhan-sama won't treat her badly, right? That's a 100% win-win," Leona continued.

It seemed that Tarhan was so satisfied with Leona's praise. "You're a smart one, aren't you?" He then turned to you, "Now even lion-chan is giving up you. So what do you say?"

You hesitated. Your heart was struggling with whether you should trust Leona and give it a try. Your rationality was telling you that this man couldn't be trusted. Like how many times had he tricked you? From the day you met him in the botanical garden, to the Crewel Incident, throwing you onto the broomstick, and just a few minutes ago, selling you to a sick stranger to rescue himself. Anyone smart would not even consider trusting this cunning lion at this very moment, not even one.

"Haven't made up your mind?" Tarhan asked.

"I...I..."

Dammit. If I die, I'm gonna hate myself and Leona Kingscholar forever in the underworld.

"I accept your generous offer." was your final reply.

A satisfied look appeared on Tarhan's face. "Smart decision. Now, may I know your name?"

You were still not sure about your decision to trust Leona and cooperate with his plan according to your inference, but you answered him while slightly looking up, "Y/n. Y/f/n."

"Y/n... What a beautiful name." Tarhan said while pulling you closer to him.

"Sorry for interrupting, but can I have my hands untied first?" Tarhan's act was stopped by Leona's chiming in, and he was noticeably unhappy about that.

"I remember saying consider freeing you, right? You'll be brought back to our territory first, and I'll consider whether I should free you or feed you to my lion." Tarhan sneered. He then turned to his guards and ordered them to get ready to return in their language.