Chapter 8: Will there be trees?

Start from the beginning

Neteyam chuckled at how Liläk treated Pìwopx, the bond to her ikran was very strong, he was certain that she wasn't kidding when she said she wouldn't let Pìwopx go, even if the Metkayina didn't fly on ikrans.

She was already tired, wishing she could arrive somewhere, anywhere. Down them was the sea, it was big, enormous. There were animals just as big in it. Liläk had to admit it was very pretty, but it was so...open, like if everything in there was alone. Back home...but it isn't your home anymore, is it? She thought. She sighed. Back in the forest the trees seemed to accompany her everywhere she went...she found comfort in the trees, on the branches. Up there she felt safe, relaxed. She remembered the days in which she didn't feel like joining her brothers and Spider, mostly because of Spider's presence, -a hint of guilt took over her a the thought of the boy, Liläk hoped he was okay.-she would go to the forest and climb as high as she could. The world didn't seem so big from up there. She could look at the sky and still be hidden. The thing she loved the most about the forest, was the way the trees sang with the wind. The murmurs of the leaves that helped her sleep, soothing her into her dreams.

After hours of traveling they finally arrived a place that was inhabited. It calmed her that they had trees in there...it was nice. Her worries were soothed. After Neteyam's suggestion of the nonexistence of trees a part of her had been dreading to find herself with an open beach and nothing but sea, the enormous unknown sea. But this place was actually nice, the sea had a beautiful color and the Metkayina seemed to use the roots of trees to build their homes...she smiled, feeling a glint of hope for the first time in weeks.

They landed on the sand. The moment they did Liläk got off her ikran and patted her neck...they were in an unknown place and Pìwopx was tired, she knew she was on edge. So she tried to soothe her the best she could.

-Sìltsan Pìwopx, you did very well...good girl.-Pìwopx bumped her head softly on Liläk's head.-it's okay.

She looked in front of her. The people there didn't seem so happy to see them, they couldn't know their intentions after all. She looked at her parents from afar, her dad had motioned her mom to leave her bow in her ikran, so she did the same and left the bow on Pìwopx's back. She gave Pìwopx one more calming pat and walked towards Kiri, staying close beside her.

-Be nice...-Neytiri told their children. Liläk was intimidated by all the looks on them. The Metkayina gathered around them as if they were seeing sky people arrive. The first thing she noticed was the fact that their skin tone was lighter, almost green. They had wide arms and their tails were flat, she doubted they could move them around as freely as they could. She noticed that the Metkayina around her were looking at her tail, she unconsciously lowered her ears and got closer to Neteyam.

Two Metkayina about her age approached them. Neteyam and Lo'ak bowed their hands signaling the respectful hello of "I see you". Liläk just looked at them, not liking their mocking looks and the way that they freely looked them up and down pinpointing every detail. The two boys got behind them. Liläk clenched her jaw.

-Easy...just be cool.-Their father said. If it weren't for his words she would have hissed at them already but she tried to remain still. She wasn't good at meeting new people, there was a reason the only people she hang with back home where her siblings.

-What, what is that?-One of them told the other jeeringly.-Is that supposed to be a tail?

At least my tail doesn't look like a wooden board, Liläk thought, angrily.

Neteyam touched her arm to call her attention, he pointed at Lo'ak who looked as he had seen a ghost, she followed his look and saw a young Metkayina girl getting out of the water. She seemed so in her element. Liläk felt a hint of jealousy, because she was in her element, this was her home...she had just left hers.