Epilogue - The End of the Beginning

Começar do início

"Fat?" Vina suggested dryly.

"I was going to say 'pregnant and ready to be done with it,'" Lyssa corrected her primly, noting the heavy bags under her eyes.

"That too," Vina sighed. She grimaced, shifting in her seat and resting a hand atop her extremely rounded stomach. "I've started getting Braxton Hicks, and I'm about ready to find the person who first romanticized pregnancy and punch them in the face. This is not fun," she grumbled. "Not to mention I'm bored," she moaned. "I totally understand why we're not going on crazy adventures anymore, and I fully agree with it. Tiny one needs to be safe." She sighed. "But I swear, if the Doctor takes me to one more planet that is nothing but clouds and fluffy marshmallows I'm going to cry. And then he's going to get all worked up because I'm in distress and then no one's going to be happy."

Lyssa bit back a laugh. "I'm guessing that's happened several times now?"

The redhead drug a hand over her face before giving her a flat look. "I thought he was overprotective before, but he's worse now." She sighed, expression softening to something pensive. "I mean, I understand it, to some degree. He's lost everything once and managed to survive that. But now with me being so vulnerable - and with those stupid hunters trying to follow us everywhere - there's a risk that he could lose everything in one go again, and I don't know if anyone has the strength to survive that twice, including him. So I try to have grace."

Lyssa grimaced with understanding. If ever there was a walking bundle of trauma bundled up in a suitcoat, it'd be the Doctor. And the more she was learning about the Time War and her potential future there, the more it was starting to explain some of his actions - or reactions - around her. She couldn't even imagine how he'd react if she was pregnant on top of everything else while being hunted down by some evil maniacs who wanted to use her.

"But enough about me," Vina leaned forward, eyes taking on a mischievous tint through the screen. "What's new on your end? How's your Doctor doing?" Lyssa gave her a warning look but the redhead only laughed. "The last time we talked, you were about to go on a totally-not-a-date with Pinstripes. And now you're with Bowtie after a very special totally-not-a-date. And I want deets."

"We were dragged to his home planet on the day he lost it and he was forced to face his most traumatic memories and worst enemies," Lyssa said flatly. "So romantic."

"You supported him as he dealt with some of his most traumatic issues and helped him save his home planet," Vina countered. "As things go, I'd say it'd be harder to find a better way of showing your love for someone." She gave Lyssa a pointed look.

"One, of course I'm going to help him with that, any decent person would. Not to mention he's my best friend. Two, I am totally okay with someone just getting me flowers and staying far away from my worst memories," Lyssa informed her dryly. "I would find that very romantic, as opposed to digging up old memories that should stay buried."

"But if you had to do it wouldn't you rather do it with the Doctor by your side?" Vina fluttered her eyelashes at her.

"Has anyone ever told you you can be extremely aggravating?"

"On numerous occasions, why do you ask?"

"No reason. Just wondering."

"Fairy-girl, did you tell the Ranger he could have a dragon?" the Doctor interrupted, sticking his head in the library, eyes narrowed.

She froze. "What? Nooooo, I wouldn't do that," she shook her head with wide, innocent eyes. "Dragons are big and breathe fire, and there's no way we could safely keep one on the TARDIS, let alone give it all the attention it would need."