Chapter 10 - The Market and the Meiloorun

Sheera's Journal - Ord Mantell, Mid Rim

I never imagined I would find myself living in a shabby apartment above the most drab, unassuming bar in Ord Mantell City. Then again, I never imagined leaving Coruscant as a fugitive, forced to survive on a planet far out in the Mid-Rim, either.

The most shocking turn of events is that I'm currently staying with a squad of clones known as the Bad Batch. That's right – clones.

Unlike the droid-like soldiers who attacked the Jedi temple, these men are thoughtful, compassionate, and all-around upstanding gentlemen. I attribute their kindness not only to being genetically modified (which explains their varied appearance), but also because they have taken on the responsibility of protecting their sister, Omega.

I have become close with the young female clone over the last several rotations. Besides sharing a room, we tell each other stories, discuss our love of art, and delight in teasing the boys mercilessly.

I promised I wouldn't keep secrets from her, so she knows about the frightening visions I've had. She is also incredibly perceptive and confirmed my special affections for Tech saying, 'You've liked him since before we left your cabin on Kalkovak.' We both know she's not wrong.

While my blaster injury from our escape healed, I devoted my time to cooking and cleaning for the squad. I had to appear busy enough that the old Trandoshan wouldn't rope me into doing pointless jobs for her. We've spent almost every evening since arriving on Ord Mantell seated at the table talking and laughing at each other's jokes. Wrecker and Echo take turns helping me cook, and while I wish Tech would join me to prepare more meals, he usually offers to clean up afterward.

This little domestic routine, especially the evening meals and conversations, remind me of days with my family on Coruscant. Of course, our current situation is temporary – the Empire grows ever stronger and more pervasive – but I am content to spend the time we do have as a member of yet another tightknit family.

~~~~~

One morning, Tech invited Sheera to go with him into the city's market to look for some parts he needed to repair the Marauder.

"I figured you would appreciate the opportunity to get out and explore the city," he said as they cleaned up after the morning meal.

"You're timing is perfect," Sheera said. "I have no doubt Cid would have made me wipe the counters or scrub the floor of her bar if I stayed behind."

When the two of them stepped into the city's bustling square half an hour later, Sheera instinctively looped her arm around Tech's and leaned into his side to support her injured leg.

She paused and looked at him to make sure he was okay with her being so close. He smiled down at her and placed his hand over hers giving it a reassuring squeeze.

Leaning down, he whispered, "Don't worry, Sheera. You are welcome to lean on me as long as is necessary."

His breath on her cheek and sound of his voice in her ear sent a shiver through Sheera's whole body, but she kept walking, taking in the sights and sounds of the vendors around her.

Sheera didn't think Ord Mantell's capital would be much bigger than Crevasse City, but judging by its market, it was at least three or four times as large.

She let Tech guide her through the crowded stalls, but he always stopped when she wanted a closer look at the different wares available: plants and animals from all over the galaxy, beautiful garments for beings of all types, spices, herbs, toys, droids, and more. They wound their way through the seemingly endless streets, ambling around aisle after aisle of booths.