A Pleasant Sip To Go

A pleasant breeze blows through the streets like wandering souls, snow-covered cars, and groups of deer dressed for the holidays ride through the paved streets. Every store is decorated with the brightest and more colorful lights you could imagine, every child's dream starts here of how wonderful the world can look. Bright whites, greens, and reds light the entire town while Christmas songs echo in the night. Everyone is happy and free. Not a worry on our minds. This is the one day when everyone lives in the moment with their loved ones.

The smell of freshly baked bread and candy fills the air along with the joy of children giggling at the taste of free treats. I've grown old and miss being that little kid getting a big ol' lollipop too big to even fit in my mouth, a big jacket keeping me cozy, and slipping snow down my brother's shirt when he wasn't looking. The memories this holiday brings back are like nothing else.

As a family tradition, every Christmas night we'd come here to this street to watch the parade of reindeer while drinking hot cocoa together. My parents are no longer here to celebrate with me but I still feel them watching from above. Coming here helps me feel closer. Like I'm here with them all over again.
So here I am at Jolly's Coffee Shop. Home to the best hot cocoa and coffee you could ever ask for. The moment you step inside you're faced with the immediate smells of spices such as cinnamon and nutmeg, peppermint, and most important, chocolate. I reach out my cold wrinkled hand and grab the cold metal handle of the shop, slowly pulling it open and stepping inside.

It's so warm in here and at every table is a family smiling. A large serving counter is right up front the moment you walk in with several tables beside each other on the right of the shop. There isn't much room inside but most take their drink to go anyway. Stocking and candy canes tied on rope are pinned along the walls of the shop along with a single mistletoe dangling in the center of the ceiling just in front of the register.

I step underneath the mistletoe and wait for my order to be taken. The workers are all wearing their own handmade sweaters and Christmas hats, moving from station to station in a rhythmic fashion. I zone out for a moment when suddenly a worker comes to take my request.

"Hello sir, what would you like?" The young lady asks.

"A peppermint hot cocoa please, no whipped cream thank you." I say politely.

"Coming right up, you can go sit at a table while you wait." The lady says politely with a contagious smile. I smile back before sitting at a table on the right. I look out the window, watching the horses walk by, and soon my drink is brought to me. I thank the waiter and slowly sip my drink. It falls slowly down my throat and I feel its warmth travel down to my stomach whilst I let out a sigh of relief.

After an hour or so the shop clears out and the parade comes to an end. I find myself staring out to a quiet road with snowflakes gently falling down when suddenly the ring of a bell fills the shop and the front door opens. A man wearing an all-black suit and top hat walks in, giving a short wave to the cashier before ordering a drink. Unexpectedly he walks over and sits in front of me. I didn't mind, just usually no one ever sits with me.

"You look rather lonely my friend. I'm sure you wouldn't mind a drink with a friend?" The mysterious man says to me. His voice and eyes are welcoming but also frightening in some way. I don't know why.

"I don't mind at all. Is this your first time here?" I ask.

"Yes, I heard their hot cocoa is the best this town has to offer." The man says as the waiter comes to hand him his drink. He takes a small sip and sets down the cup before looking at me with a slight smile.

"You look like you've lived a very long life, my friend." The man says.

"A long one indeed, but it feels like only yesterday I was one of those children.." I say. He can hear the sadness in my voice.

"It's okay to feel that way. I think everyone wishes they could have that experience again. But it's okay to grow old. You've learned a lot in your life." The man says before taking another sip of his drink. 

"I suppose so. Are you celebrating Christmas with anyone?" I ask.

"No not anyone in particular, but I suppose you count." The man says.

Suddenly I can't help but ask even if the question may come out rude.

"Sir, if I may ask. Who are you?" I ask curiously.

The man lets out a soft sigh and looks at me with a bit of a sad face.
I somehow knew even though he hadn't said anything.

"I'm your guardian angel. Your time is running short and I figured you wouldn't want to be alone in your last moments." The man says. I'm overcome with a feeling of sadness but knowing I'm not alone is helping me feel slightly better.

"So how much time do I have left?" I ask.

"About a minute or so." He says before placing his hand on my left shoulder.

"Don't be sad. Everyone sleeps eventually. Let us drink once more to good memories before I carry you onwards." The man says before raising his mug into the air. I grab mine and gently tap it against his before taking a sip along with him.

"To, good memories." We both say together before my eyes suddenly feel heavier. I lean forward and rest my head on the table before closing my eyes.

"It's okay. Fall asleep." The man says as I drift away. I'd say thank you if I could but I no longer can. I'm happy I wasn't alone in the end.