Chapter 2: bitter;sweet (plot, fluff)

"What did you do?"

I awaken with a start, feeling a hand firm on my shoulder, shaking me.

"Wha't?" I mumble out, voice heavy with sleep, turning my face back into my pillows and groaning. I'm not awake enough to process words.

I feel a dip in the mattress, and realize there's someone climbing over top of me. I crack a single eye to check, seeing Ellie. She looks... severe. I blink my other eye open, trying to wake up.

"I woke up to a phone call—" She starts, and I barely process the words. I nod, stretching, blinking rapidly. "—it was a number I didn't know. I pick up. It's— your— your dipshit man—"

I wake up for that, brow drawing tight, fighting my body to finally sit up. I squint at her.

"What's he calling you for?" I ask, then yawn. "At asscrack o'clock."

Ellie lifts a brow. "It's 8am. It's not that early."

I roll my eyes. "What'd Clay want? Did I miss his call or something? I didn't think—" I taper off as I pull out my phone. I don't have any notifications from him.

"Nope. He was calling me to talk to me." She says, then glares at me, like I know something.

I quirk a brow in return, lost.

She lifts her brows, expectant. "He said to me, at seven thirty this morning: Hi Ellie, I hired movers to help you and your sister out. Just call this number. The reservation is in your name. I paid for it, no worries, bye."

I pause, mouth parted in surprise, blinking at her.

She continues, glaring. "So, I wanna know what you did to make him do that!? What'd you tell him? Are you gonna suck his dick for it, like—"

I huff a quick laugh as she tapers off, lifting my hands to rub the remaining sleep from my eyes.

"Believe it or not, I didn't ask him to do a goddamn thing. He's just... like that." I say, breath hitching, feeling warmth pool in my stomach. My big sweet man. He'd be a himbo if he wasn't so fucking smart.

"Y—you, you didn't ask him to do that?" Ellie asks.

I shake my head no, smile splitting my face, then shrug. She looks... incredibly surprised, mouth parted. There's a moment of silence where she thinks, before she seems to snap back to her body, tongue dragging along her lip.

"I love your man, please suck his dick. For me." Ellie says, and I sputter out a laugh.

"I mean— fuck—" Ellie continues, looking bewildered. "Kill all men... but Clay can stay."

I laugh again, shaking my head, a fluttering feeling in my stomach. Yeah. Clay can stay.

Suddenly, Ellie's back out of my bed, floating toward the door. "I need you to wake up and help me out, if you're up for that?"

I nod.

"Okay. I have to leave and help my sister pack because the movers are— already there. So, can you start to separate my shit from yours for me? While I'm out?"

I nod again. "I just gotta shower first, then I can start on that."

Ellie splits into a smile. "You're a life saver. You and your man. I'll be back in like— I'll guess two hours?"

I wave with my fingers, and she turns and walks away. I lift my arms, stretching, and immediately unlock my phone, beaming, opening my messages with Clay and texting.

'i can't believe u'
':)))))'
'ur too much, u know that?' 7:49 am

Though I know he's awake, I'm surprised he texts back almost immediately.