"Alright then little mouse, I'll have some milk. " she simpered. At last...a half smile was better than no smile.

"Mouse? LITTLE?" I put my hand on my heart dramatically faking hurt.

" Good afternoon Your Majesty. " a guttural sound reveled itself suddenly, out of nowhere. Out of reflex I stood before Kitty in a protective stance. I heard Katherine gasp. The body soon stepped into light. Some spy he was. He took her hand, bowed and kissed the top of it. I just stood there awkwardly, aware that he had heard our 'cat-mouse' conversation.

"Aah yes my dear Sir. How is the search coming up? Do you have the guilty?" Katherine asked the old, balding spy. She looked at me from corner of her eyes, flustered.

"I'm afraid it's too soon to pinpoint anyone but we do have a few leads. My men are all over the place, waiting for the man to make a wrong move." Gerald replied still not letting go of her hand. I stepped forward when his noble gesture surpassed normalcy.

"Oh Knight Destin! How is your grandmother?" he finally acknowledged me.

"She is well thank you." I answered, intrigued how he knew my gran.

"How much longer? " Katherine said with ill-disguised frustration and anger.

"At least two days Your Highness. " he backed away slightly.

"Two days!! My coronation is tomorrow!" Katherine said flinging her hands in the air.

The rest of the conversation I was busy noticing the spy. It was the second time I had seen him in my entire lifetime. Only the King and privileged enough knew this man. He looked around in his sixties with strong physique but older face. The way he spoke, it radiated power. Then of course in his profession, knowledge is power. He wore simple clothes: a tan trouser with khaki shirt and brown overcoat with leather high boots. Sleeve of his right hand showed just a peek of bandage. Odd because he didn't look like a spy that would  engage in a fight.

***

Her Highness Princess Katherine's POV

The morning was young, air thick with fog. Dew-drops nestled on leaves and young buds waiting for warmth of sun. I sat down on the bench in front of my parents' memorial located in the middle of the maze. Their marble statues were life sized, the water in the fountain bubbling in background. They look happy and peaceful together.

"They would 'ev been proud." a old man's voice said. I turned my face slightly to find silhouette of a man, far away near the wall.

"Huh! How would you know? You weren't even there, at your own son's funeral. " my voice came out stable and cynical despite of my inside turmoil. I turned back and sat staring at them.

"I know you despise me, but know this." he paused and stepped forward."The path you have chosen is not easy. I know you are brave, but there's a thin line between bravery and idiocy. Mark my words. Only power is not enough to rule. Be cautious..."

I let out the breath and turn,"So now you have come to share knowledge I see.."

I stop when I see him gone. "Bloody perfect."I mutter under my breath.

"Princess Katherine!!! PRINCESS KATHERINE!!" some soldier was shouting and frantically waving from the castle window overlooking the gardens.

"Alright alright!" I waved back smiling to myself. People were still afraid of the labyrinth. I looked at my parents one last time, closed my eyes seeking strength and took my leave.