Chapter 3

The   Conquest
                                                       ‡Sir knight Reynard's POV

The day already gloomy, was now filled with melancholy as the martyrs were being descended into the grave. Fragrance of wild flowers and mosses wafted in the forest air. The wind seemed to carry silent prayers of the well-wishers.

The king had a wistful expression and I saw with a heavy heart as he moved to meet family after family of the deceased, comforting them, mourning the loss. I had known Martin since childhood and I always knew what a great King he would make.

After the ceremony ended, the people started dispersing. Martin caught my eye and I started making my way towards him.

'' Is everything ready?'' he inquired.

'' Everything is set your Majesty. We leave at noon.'' I replied.

He nodded. We started making our way back to the camp.

***

As the day dragged on, the dark  clouds were now vanishing and the sun was on the head.

I changed into the uniform we had removed from Viktor's men, that had died during the fight. It was all part of the plan--to remain undetected.

After suiting up I went to the barracks. The soldiers  included in the plan were all dressed like me. Upon seeing me, they hurried to their place and  gave me a salute in attention.

'' At ease men'' I saluted back. '' Is everyone ready?''

'' Yes Sir.'' they replied in unison.

'' Alright! Take your bags and weapons. Meet me outside, near the horses.'' I commanded as I left barracks to look for the king.

I found the King talking to the Queen and the Princess. The Queen was nodding her head in acceptance to something he said. Then he took Katherine in his arms and spoke something that lit up her face like a Christmas tree. He produced a bow and arrow from behind him to hand it over to her. No wonder the princess was delighted...it was her favorite weapon.

After watching from a distance, I made my way to him.

'' We are ready to leave Sire.'' I informed and bowed before the Queen, "My Queen."

"Just be careful and take care of him."  She looked at the King with concern.

"I will... you needn't worry My Lady." I assured.

We went to the soldiers and got on our horses.  A small party had gathered to wish us good luck. We waved our goodbyes and set out for Silene, King Viktor's capital.

The navigator rode in the front of the procession. Followed by me. The king rode behind me surrounded by the guards.

We made our way through the forest, alert for any sign of adversary. Rarely stopping for breaks.

***

We had reached Silene at midnight of the second day. We tied the horses to trees a mile away and reached here on foot. Remaining in the cover of thicket, I watched the fortress. It stood proudly on the mountain, reaching out for the starry night sky, torches flickering with yellow glow. 

I had been here a few times with the King for peace talks with king Viktor. All seemed to be working well until he broke the peace treaty and attacked Alexandria. Well, one thing we were absolutely sure of, was that king Viktor took pride on his un-breachable walls and was fool enough to allot fewer guards for night watch. His ego was going to be his downfall.

Our spy, Gerald used to be close friend of King Viktor, an adviser and nobleman like myself. He was insulted badly, even after he had risked his life for him. Angry and seeking revenge he had turned up to King Martin for help who accepted him openly and provided post and shelter. It was safe to say that he was elated to accompany us in this mission.

After a while, the night was pitch black and all activities inside the fortress had ceased. Now was the perfect time to set our plan in motion. We split into two groups. I and Gerald searched for the secret passage that lead into the city while the King and rest started ascending the mountain to reach the second gate. It was smaller than main gate and less guarded. A less used backdoor.

With the help of Gerald, we found the boulder which marked opening of the cave. I put all my strength to push it aside. At first it won't budge, but then it began to glide with a little groan. Gerald looked around to see if anyone had heard us, but the sound of howling winds seemed to drown any noise. Perfect.

He started walking into the tunnel. I followed after concealing the opening with a branch and lighting a small torch. The tunnel was full of cobwebs indicating its less usage. After what seemed to be a really long time, we reached the other end to find a locked wooden door. Gerald took out a bunch of keys from his pocket.

I looked up at him questioningly. He laughed and said that he used to accompany Viktor during his slip aways so, he always had the duplicate keys. To my relief the door opened noiselessly and led out in a dark alley way. We walked the streets towards the gate.

Whilst walking, I counted five guards near the door, three were on the top- archers no doubt and two were at the bottom. There was a check post on the right, but it seemed empty at time.

'' What makes you two soldiers to come here at night?'' One of them spoke suspiciously raising his weapon.

'' The chief sent us here to tell you the news. '' Gerald said.

'' What news?'' they asked.

'' I'll tell you.'' I said climbing up the stairs.

As soon as I reached up, the guards had their weapons down eager to hear the news.

In blink of an eye I took out my sword and before they could reach for their weapons ,  I swiped my sword through their throats. Gerald took care of the rest at the bottom.

I rushed down and opened the fortress door. Coming out, I made the signal by clapping thrice.

Our second team came out of hiding and joined me and Gerald.