Chapter 11

Crowning glory

Knight Destin's POV

It's been two days of woe. Kings and Kinsmen of all lands have been staying at the castle for the coronation. But nothing sparks the fire of happiness or hope in the heart of my Princess. I've never seen her this hollow, its like she has lost her purpose and that's not a good thing. Especially now when she is to be named the rightful ruler of this kingdom.

The last time I went to her with a basket of bread, she started a duel with me..it was like she wasn't even there, only a body was fighting and the soul, long lost. These have truly been difficult times, the murderer has still not been caught, the preparations for the big day are underway, people are still mourning the loss and little did Kitty know, she has been saved from assassins, twice. A kingdom with a nineteen year old as sole heir, a girl at that, is a pretty good target for Kings and other opportunists.

Maidens around the castle were whispering near the stairway. They stopped when I came near. "How's the Princess, Destin? The palace has never been this..." she choked on her words. "Lifeless." the other completed her sentence.

"Shaken... but she's getting there. " I reassured them. They gave small smiles. I returned a nod and took my leave.

Father and mother are taking care of all other work while my work is only to protect Princess with my life. She is future of the Empire, all eighty three provinces...and not all her family and hunters are noble. Given a chance, some wouldn't think twice before killing her. This is my biggest concern, due to event of past few days, she is vulnerable both physically and mentally. I have trusted Cecelia with taking care of her rather than some maid.

I knock on her door but no one answers. Fearing the worse I barge in.

"Princess?! "

No answer.

Soon a trail of brown hair and pastel pink gown catches my eyes. She is sitting on edge of the window. Not a good spot to be in with killers hovering over like vultures. She turned to look at me. The sunlight made the bags under her eyes and the hollowness of her cheeks even more prominent. The eyes that once sparkled with mischief were now red, swollen and dull. "I don't know what took over me. " she said sadly.

"Kitty! Look at me.. It's okay. See? I'm fine." I sat besides her and made a face she used to laugh at when we were younger. She looked up with those huge brown teary eyes and couldn't help but laugh.

"You have two bandages!" she pointed out the gashes she had given me, one on forearm and other on abdomen.

"Proud battle scars?" I laughed nervously.

"Yeah right. So any news about the murderer? I want to speak to Sir Gerald." she got up and composed herself.

"I'll summon him your Majesty. " I bowed.

She placed a hand in my shoulder, "Destin, none of that with me."

"Until coronation then Kitty. " I smiled and cut her off and called out, "Guards! " Soon two men in matching green uniforms with guns came in.

"Tell my father that the royal spy has been summoned by Her Highness. " I ordered.

"Yes my lord." they spoke in unison and left.

"Shall I order milk?" I asked. She just raised her brow.

"Common little Kitten you didn't think I'll let you starve, did you? And for your information you vowed not to eat, not 'not to drink'. You have to be strong to take on an enemy."I smirked.