Going on a Check Up

A lazy moan escaped my throat as the sun shines through my window making me winced. I opened my eyes, blinking them to adjust to the brightness. I yawn as I stretch my arms upward. My phone beeped as I was rubbing away the sleep off my eyes. Still with my eyes closed, I looked for my phone just feeling the sheet. I jolt upright as I saw the time. Eleven in the morning. Oh no. The meeting. Knowing the texts were from my colleages, I didn't bother to read them and texted Jonathan. Hey. I'm not feeling well. Sorry. See you at lunch.
:)

I could stay for hours in the shower if I want to or get out after five minutes if I'm chasing the time. As much as I want to, I didn't waste any time and went inside the shower. I threw my clothes in the basket and headed for the shower. My white-tiled bathroom is not too big nor too small. I don't like it too big afraid that "something" might watch me as I shower. Something I don't want to talk about. Okay, I admit that I am kind of a scardy cat. I just imagine things a little too much. I can't even sleep without turning off my lamp. I've been like this since I was little. Maybe, I am not used to having a totally dark room when sleeping. Blame the horror movies for that. I even listen to music through my earphones until I fall asleep to avoid imagining horror creatures. I also don't want my bathroom to be too small for being the way it is. Who would want bruises after going inside because of frequent bumping?

I do not own that much facial treatment. In fact, I don't own any. My usual face routine is cleanse-tone-moisturize. Sometimes, I don't even do all these because it's so bothersome. In my sink just beside the door is just a toothpaste and a toothbrush placed together in a glass. And beside it, is my facial soap in a  soap dish. My rectangular mirror still got a foggy surface from last night's shower. Below the sink is my trash can. Beside my sink is my toilet bowl with a tropical plant on its cream-colored tank lid. On the far right is where my basket full of dirty laundry. On its left is my washing machine. On the left side of my bathroom is my sanctuary. My shower. I love bathing. It gives me the chance to shake off all the bad vibes I had the entire day. I feel good as new after every bath. It's my way of ending the day. In my shower hangs a container with a bottle of shampoo and conditioner, the soap I use, and the loofah.

I always bring my cellphone with me whatever my business in the bathroom is. Music feeds my soul. Well, actually it keeps me company. I hate being alone in a silent place. It makes me think a lot of unnecessary creepy things. But since I'm in a hurry, I wouldn't even notice that I'm playing a song. So I left my phone in my bed.

Just before my five-minute record turns to six, I got out of the shower with just a towel covering my body and a mini towel wrapped in my head. Before anything else, I turned on the television and throw the remote control in my bed almost hitting my cellphone. The usual report was on. Today marks the first anniversary of the Kabutan incident. A very tragic plane crash that caused a hundred deaths. I didn't pay much attention to the report and started to prepare.

I sat down on my dresser and started to air dry my hair using just my electric fan. I never go out of the house with my hair still wet. I just don't like the feeling of water dripping on my skin and ruining my get up, not that I dress uber fashionable. The room is still cold from the air conditioning last night. I perspire easily so I make it sure that my room is cold after taking a bath.

I picked up my phone to check if there is a reply and continued drying as my head is bent down with all my hair in front of me. I pulled the electric fan closer, put it on a steady mode and pushed the number three button. Two missed calls. One new message. Hey, you okay? It's alright if you can't come. Want me to come over? Jonathan Villarosa - he's like my uber protective twin brother. He's been my closest in the group. It's been a year since the group was formed. We are five in it, all graduated on the same year from different schools and became CPAs on the same day. October 20, 2012. The same day as my birthday. One of God's best gifts to me.