...often meet in the middle

Start from the beginning

But first, he had to secure an escort and product.

It was the reason he came to Lord Kitum of all people. While his niece might have been humiliated at his party, the man was all about his own advancement so the prodigal prince arriving at his manor was just the thing he desired.

If he could just get the man to agree without needing to become his lackey.

Luckily, the lord here wasn't stupid enough to underestimate him. The fact he placed this capable man as his escort made that clear.

They both knew his reputation wasn't just for show.

The only thing he lacked is power within the kingdom.

"Your room, your highness." Xander looked up, noting they'd arrived already. The halls were no different than the previous ones he'd passed through. Probably a means to keep people from snooping around.

If such a thing could stop him, he'd have long since died.

He reached out, feeling the tendrils of his shadows vibrate in response to his call. It was a silent assurance of their presence.

There was even one embedded in the shadow of the butler, though the man had no idea.

Few did. His shadows were silent and lurked about every corner. If he was still enough, he could hear them whisper to him.

His shadow guards were nearby, though the water spires in the moat were a bit of an obstacle.

Lord Kitum was in his office, writing something but his shadows couldn't tell what.

Most pressingly, however, was the fact that there was a void nearby.

His shadows could peek at anyone nearby as long as they had a shadow to attach to. It was a vital ability if not annoying since his shadows liked to speak all at once if allowed. Yet a void meant his shadows couldn't touch this person.

Curious, Xander entered his room, wanting to know the identity of this void. While he couldn't track them in his usual way, he was not so defenseless that he couldn't kill them. He'd faced people like this before, after all.

Mist flowed from his lips, his body preparing for a fight. The room chilled, making the butler who had only just left shiver slightly.

"You need to keep your guard up better than that, Xiao-Xan"

Xander jumped, a familiar voice chastising him in the seemingly empty room. Even his shadows flinched, their tendrils trying to reach the intruder's shadow. They were curious, having never been rejected.

Yet they were, passing harmlessly through the intruder's shadow as he spoke.

"The fact you just waltzed in here like an amateur." Qin Rong grimaced at him as he lit the lamp beside him. "I'm disappointed, honestly."

Xander, however, was anything but.

His fae was back, this time leaning back against the headboard with his arm draped over a raised knee. It was a casual pose, as if this was his home and he could relax somewhat. The scowl on his face and the scolding tone made it clear he was anything but relaxed but Xander was happy nonetheless.

Seeing Qin Rong in his bed was very appealing to him. Though he was a bit disappointed that it differed so much from his fantasies. He'd rather see the fae naked and beckoning Xander to join him in bed. His skin flushed with desire and his erection peeking through his bare legs.

But this was good too, he supposed.

Xander had thought of an elaborate trap to get Qin Rong into his arms. It involved a lot of moving parts and subterfuge but if he was just going to give himself up like this, who was he to say no?