Chapter 14

The next day, we arrived at Jang Hanseok's mansion for the masquerade ball in our brand-new outfits. I was wearing a brilliant emerald-green dress and Vincenzo was wearing a full-black suit with an emerald-green tie. We both wore emerald-green masks and our outfits complimented each other.

As we walked into the mansion, we noticed that Jang Hanseok was seated in the lounge and Paolo was watching from the second-floor stairway. Vincenzo said, "Go talk to Hanseok. I'll take Paolo. Don't worry, you look stunning." With that, he walked away.

As I walked over to Jang Hanseok, he noticed me and said, excited, "Lee Jiyoung! We meet again!". I said, smiling, "I can't resist an invitation from you, Jang Hanseok-ssi. After all, we became good acquaintances." Hanseok stood and said, grinning, "Care for a dance?". I nodded and we made our way to the dance floor.

As we started to dance, I noticed that dancing with Hanseok made me feel very uncomfortable. Like dancing with a snake. Suddenly, Hanseo came by and said, "I'll steal Ms. Lee from you for a minute, hyungnim." With that, Hanseo gently pulled me to dance with him.

I immediately eased up. Hanseo said, smiling, "You looked like you hated that, noona. You were clenching your jaw the whole time but I doubt Mr. Jang noticed." I said, grateful, "Thank you, Hanseo. So much. But why did you call?". Hanseo said, "I'm supposed to bring you to the stairs. Vin hyung says for you to meet him and Paolo upstairs." Soon, we had danced our way to the staircase.

I immediately walked up the stairs to meet Vincenzo and Paolo. I smiled and said, "Paolo, è bello vederti.(Paolo, it's good to see you)." Paolo said, "Bella cara, sei stupenda.(Bella dear, you look stunning)." Vincenzo said, "Ti stai godendo la festa?(Are you enjoying the party?)". Paolo grimaced and said, "No, non è quello che mi aspettavo. Facciamo le cose meglio in Italia.(No, it's not what I expected. We do things better in Italy)." 

Knowing that Paolo didn't know Korean, Vincenzo said, "We have to cover by dancing now. I've sent Hanseo on an errand. Act nonchalant so we can escape." Paolo stared at us, confused. I smiled and said, "Si, non è come l'Italia. Ma dovrà bastare.(Yes, it's not like Italy. But it will have to be enough)." Vincenzo said, smiling coolly now, "Paolo, vorreri ballare con Bella. Scusaci.(Paolo, I would like to dance with Bella. Excuse us)". With that, we left downstairs.

Vincenzo gently pulled me into a dance. And it felt magical. It felt nothing like dancing with Jang Hanseok. It felt comfortable, easy and just... perfect. As we danced around the room, I relaxed and rested my head on Vincenzo's shoulder. Vincenzo chuckled and said, "You seem to be enjoying yourself, Jiyoung." I nodded and closed my eyes.

Just then, Hanseo walked up to us and we stopped dancing. He quickly gave Vincenzo a pen drive and said, "I think it's time you both leave. I'll meet up with you later." We quickly left.

When we got back to the Plaza and changed, we sat in Jjipuragi, drinking coffee. Vincenzo said, "You dance well. And it certainly seemed like you were enjoying the party." I nodded and admitted, "Yes. But the only part I didn't like was dancing with Jang Hanseok. It was really uncomfortable." 

Just then, Hanseo arrived with a big smile on his face. He sat down and said, "Mr. Jang was so angry! You were right, hyung! The pen drive contains the records of the bribes that Paolo and Mr. Jang have given the Korean and Italian governments to get Paolo here." Vincenzo said triumphantly, "And that is how we win. With this, that case is as good as ours."

With that, we toasted to our imminent success.