88 - While I'm Gone

Start from the beginning

I sit down at the usual lunch table, confused. Where's Parker? She's always here before me. And I got here a little late. She should definitely be here by now... this is weird.

"You good, man?" Hawk asks, seeming concerned. I snap back to reality.

"Yeah, yeah. Have you seen Parker anywhere? She's usually here by now," I ask in return. His face gets a little red, but he looks confused. Damn I feel like Parker right now. Examining faces and shit. Maybe I've learned a thing or two.

"She's on her way to Texas right now, dude. She's got that choir competition," he says. Ohh, that's right! How could I forget about that? She's been excited about it for weeks.

"That's right, that's right," I say, nodding a little, "and are you good? You look a little red."

He only goes redder. I think I'm onto something here. He looks really shifty right now. Parker would definitely be onto him in an instant. Sam and Demetri join us at the table, looking a little confused.

"Hey babe, what's going on?" Sam asks. I think Eli has something going on with Parker, and I'm very intrigued.

"Nothing, nothing, just wondering why Hawk is so red," I explain briefly, not breaking eye contact with him.

"Yeah, you're looking a little florid there, Eli," Demetri agrees. So I'm not the only one who sees it.

"Shut up," Hawk says, rolling his eyes. There's definitely something going on here.

"Is it about Parker? You've been looking at her a lot again," Sam says, smiling a little mischievously. Great minds think alike. Maybe we're just that in sync with each other. We were meant to be.

"Except when she looks back at him, then he looks away," Demetri adds. I nod. So we've all noticed it.

"Fuck all of you guys," Hawk says, "are you really gonna make me tell you?"

"You can't just say that and then not expect us to ask more questions," Sam says, laughing.

"Yeah, she's not even here, she won't know you told us anything," Demetri says. He's right. I feel kinda bad about talking about her while she's not here though... it's okay. It's not like we're saying anything bad.

"Fine..." Hawk trails off, sitting back in his seat and avoiding eye contact with all of us, "I asked her out a little while ago..."

Wait. What?

"What?! No way, dude, I didn't think you were actually gonna do it!" Demetri exclaims. He knew he liked her? I mean, I probably could've guessed based on the way he talked to her when they were rivals, but I didn't realize he like, actually liked her or anything...

"Well, what did she say?!" Sam asks, shifting to the edge of her seat.