In the light it looked worse than in the dark, it's spookiness was stripped away with realism. Just an old house left to rot. You closed the car door finding yourself lingering. Where do you even begin?

"The tracks are still here." Freddy stuffed his hands into his pant pockets looking down at the faint tire marks in the ground. Cocking his head to the side with narrowed eyes. He seemed distant.

"It hasn't rained yet so there's still a trail to follow." You walked over towards him ignoring the thought of how the house looked behind you. Like someone was stalking you waiting for the right moment to strike.

"There's a thought," Freddy glanced at you with a grin, "shall we follow the trail to wonderland my lady?"

Freddy offered his hand out to you a lingering excitement in his eyes. You hesitantly took it brushing off the fact he called you his lady. He was a flirt. Though now you questioned his motives. Something stirred within you as he pulled you along towards the direction the intents faded into nothing. Maybe it was just nerves. Worried about a killer being on the loose and that a man you've known your whole life died of unnatural causes. (You didn't want to admit the truth that lingered deep within now.)

"If there's enough of a trail to follow." You huffed taking the first steps into the woods. There didn't seem to be any traces of someone coming this way. The trees loomed tall above your heads as the two of you walked hand in hand. Maybe if the circumstances were better you could have enjoyed this.

Birds sang in the trees fluttering past the two of you on your seemingly meaningless search. It was quite as you and Freddy traversed. But it wasn't a bad silence, it was comfortable. It gave you time to think.

S t a y  A w a y.

You turned sharply behind you. What was that? You shuddered feeling your heart sped up with anxiety. Freddy seemed tense. His hand squeezed yours and his eyes sharply looked around the trees.

"Come on out!" Freddy's excited whisper made you look at him confused. A smile was on his face like he just struck gold in a mine. As if sensing your gaze his blue eyes immediately snapped to your (E/C) one's with such intensity.

"Who are you talking to?" You raised an eyebrow, you feel like you keep doing that today.

"No one." Freddy shook his head smile falling partially.
"I didn't say a word."

You gazed at him in disbelief but said nothing continuing forward. There was a break in the tree line, revealing a river that broke the land in half. You could hear it rushing from here.

S t a y  A w a y  F r o m  H i m.

There it was again. Like a voice drifting through the breeze just loud enough for you to hear but too quite to pin point where it was coming from. You looked around again trying to find it's source. Maybe it was Freddy trying a new ventriloquy act.

"I know you're there. Come on out." Freddy muttered again eagerly. You were a bit unsettled by his words and sudden enthusiasm.

Finally emerging from the trees you and Freddy stood at the shoreline of the river. It's water rushed undisturbed even by the new guests at it's side. You let go of Freddy's hand, much to his disappointment, to walk around and get a better look. It was empty. There was nothing here. Was this just another dead end?

No there has to be more here.

You took a moment to take in your surroundings looking down at the ground brushing leaves to the side peeking under them to be sure nothing was hidden from your sight. The area looked pretty untouched. Nothing but nature ran through here. You huffed standing up, then you saw it.