Chapter 10 A Single Spring Lock

"What do you hope to find in the forest?" Freddy's voice pierced the thick silence that had fallen between the two of you as you drove out back towards the abandon Afton home.

"I don't know," you gripped the steering wheel frustrated, "a new lead I guess."

Freddy fell silent again, you don't know why he was so determined to stay close to you but at the same time you think you appreciate the company. After dropping (F/N) back to her home you couldn't shake the image of the dead body from your head.

Mr. Burke's twisted body writhing on the ground blood still somehow spilling from his body. Even though that machine that thing inside him seemed to clean him of his insides. What if who ever engineered that planned to have it scoop his organs out before discarding the blood. But why? What was the point?

Human evolution?

You furrowed your brows in thought. It sounded just too close to William aftons death and you had a hunch that Michael was involved somehow. What way you're not sure but you're going to get to the bottom of it. Long before your slow coworkers.

"What do you know about the Afton family Freddy?" Your sudden question startled the man. His blue eyes looked at you with an unreadable expression.

"Just what I've heard from those two older ladies. Not very much, what makes you ask?" Freddy leaned back against his chair casually ignoring the passing trees as your car bumped along the dirt road.

"I was just curious." Your voice was soft now no longer curious. You're not sure why you asked, maybe you thought he'd know something about it. But he was an outsider how could he know?
"You know that they'll suspect your friends right?"

Freddy narrowed his eyes at hour statement.

"Say that again?" He leaned forward to get a better look at your face.

"Your friends from the circus. They're the only new people in town, there hasn't been a death like this since...since william Afton." You hesitated to say it but somehow found the strength to as the abandoned home loomed out in the distance now visible.

Freddy looked out the window deep in thought only humming in acknowledgment.

"You're my alibi though." Freddy grinned partially at the thought. Momentarily his friends didn't matter. (They could take care of themselves.)

"I'm not talking about you." The car came to a stop, parked with your hand now turning the engine off with your keys.
"I'm talking about your crew."

"They'll be fine." Freddy looked back at you.
"Shouldn't we be focusing on our own case?"

"Do you not care about that?" You gasped quietly frowning.
"Your friends could be prime suspects in a murder case. The first murder of the town."

"I do," Freddy unbuckled his seatbelt taking a deep breath, "but I also know how they are. They're going to be fine. There's no point in worrying about them, we need to focus on ourselves right now."

You removed your keys from the ignition, turning to fully look at him trying to get a read on him. Freddy was far different now than the man you first met. He was more serious than he led on and her occasionally he seemed to enjoy the chase of this investigation. He seemed unfazed by the body, but worried about you. He didn't necessarily lack empathy but there was a missing puzzle piece with him. One you didn't even know where to begin to find.

You got out of the car wordlessly staring up at the abandoned house in thought. The sun was still out, just beginning to disappear behind the tree line that seemed infinite. It almost seemed like a grave yard like this. A soft request to keep away, but not stopping you to come forth and offer your condolences to it.