Chapter 15

It was around a week before the duo went to Mr Stuart's funeral. Emily did go but she attended with Mrs Evans as Alexander didn't want Emily to see him cry. When the time came for readings about their dad Alexander read aloud a message he had written himself.

"Dad was a brave and kind hearted man who was unfortunately punished with the death of our mother. I believe that our mother and father can now be reunited in heaven and they will be able to watch over me and Em as we continue on with the rest of our lives. I want them to know that I am proud to be their son. I promise to always take care of Emily and make sure that she has everything she could ever want in life. I'll make sure that she grows up brave, smart, happy and safe. I want to make them proud."

Emily hugged Alexander hard when the funeral was over. She didn't point out how red his cheeks were, nor that he was crying throughout the last bit of his reading. She simply hugged him and said "I'm proud of you already Allie."

A few weeks later it was Christmas day. Mrs Evans had invited the three of them to live with her, they had agreed but assured her that they would move out from under her feet once Christmas was over.

"Merry Christmas Allie" Emily called as she came and jumped on his bed at 5:30 in the morning.

Alexander laughed "Merry Christmas Em, let's go see what Santa brought you then shall we?"

Emily jumped up and pulled Alexander down the stairs. Alice and Mrs Evans were already awake, Mrs Evans was stirring a pot of porridge on the stove and Alice was chopping up a banana. "Good morning you two," Mrs Evans said with a smile "look what Santa brought you Emily."

Underneath Mrs Evans Christmas tree were four piles of presents each one had three presents in it except for one which had four.

Emily ran over to the tree and smiled as she realised her pile of presents was the biggest.

Mrs Evans took the porridge off the heat and all three of them gathered around the tree as Emily opened the first present.

"Make sure you read the gift tag so you know who it's from" Mrs Evans told her.

Emily picked up the tag which she had tossed to the floor in her excitement "to Emily from Nanny." Nanny was what Emily had started calling Mrs Evans, Mrs Evans didn't seem to mind one bit.

When Emily saw what was inside the present she squealed in delight. It was a book called Anne of Green Gables. Emily hugged it and said "Thank You!" to Mrs Evans.

"You're welcome dear" Mrs Evans replied as Emily picked up the second present.

"To Em from Allie," she read. She tore off the paper and smiled. Inside was a train set. There was an engine and lots of pieces of track as well as a tunnel and a bridge. "Thank you Allie!" Emily smiled.

"You're welcome Em," Alexander replied "I'm sure you don't mind her setting it up in here do you Mrs Evans?"

"No, I don't mind, but I don't think she'll be doing it alone by the look on your face" Mrs Evans teased.

"Was that a present for Emily or for yourself?" Alice asked.

"It's for Em but that doesn't mean I can't enjoy it as well does it?" Alexander asked.

Mrs Evans and Alice laughed. Emily grabbed the third present "To Emily from Alice."

She tore off the paper and found a beautiful notebook inside. "What's it for?" Emily asked.

"Well you can use it for anything you like," Alice replied "you could start a diary, or use it to write down recipes, or you could even write your own story."

Emily smiled "I think I'll save it for now" she said and carefully placed it on her growing pile of presents.

She reached for the last present. It was small and this one had a rather puzzling note on the gift tag. "To Emily love from Mother and Father."

Emily opened it. Inside was a small box, in the box was a heart shaped locket. Emily handed it to Alexander to open it for her. Inside were two pictures. On the left side was a picture of their mother and father, on the right was a picture of Alexander, Alice and Mrs Evans.

"That way no matter where you are we'll always be with you" Mrs Evans explained. None of them explained that the three of them had got the locket for her and not her parents. Emily didn't question it.

"Thank you" she said, staring at the photo of her parents.

They all took turns opening their presents. Alexander received a red knitted scarf from Mrs Evans and a book about medicine from Alice "so that you can go on and study to be a doctor like you wanted to."

Lastly from Emily he got a teddy bear which had a rather holey hand knitted scarf on, "knitting is harder than it looks" Emily complained but Alexander assured her he loved the bear just the same.

Mrs Evans received a new copy of Alice's adventures in Wonderland from Emily, a new cookbook full of new recipes from Alice and a pair of bright yellow mittens from Alexander. She loved and appreciated each and every one of their gifts.

Lastly Alice opened her presents. From Emily she also received a bear but hers had a knitted jacket and a little hat. They were not holey at all because as Emily explained "Nanny helped a bit."

From Mrs Evans she received a book of knitting patterns and some needles and wool. Mrs Evans promised to teach her how to knit.

The last present in Alice's pile was very small indeed, smaller than Emily's locket had been. She read the gift tag "To Alice love from Alex, please give the box to Alex to open as it is rather stiff."

Alice laughed as she told Alexander that he had pretty much ruined the surprise of what was inside the wrapping. She did however hand him the box to open for her once she had opened it.

Alexander smiled as he took it from her. He cleared his throat and began to speak "Alice, when I first met you I thought you were strange. I thought I couldn't possibly trust you with why I was in the shed where you were working. I thought you would hate me if you knew what I'd done. I asked for your help and like the wonderful and kind person you are, you agreed. It wasn't until that first kiss that I realised I loved you, more than I've ever loved anyone before. And ever since that moment I've known that I want to spend the rest of my life with you. You are the most beautiful girl I've ever met. My present to you this Christmas day is me. So.."

Alexander paused as he got down on one knee, Alice gasped. Alexander continued "Alice, Will you marry me?"

"YES, YES A THOUSAND TIMES YES!" Alice replied and they hugged and kissed under the mistletoe as Mrs Evans and Emily both tried to hold back tears of happiness.