22. Provoke

Cora:

-Can we talk? - I didn't look at her. What did she want to talk about after everything she's told and done to me? - I... I'm sorry.

Now she was sorry? She thinks I have no feelings and will forgive her just like that?

-Sorry for saying all those things. Angelina and her group started talking about you, telling me stuff that affected the way I see you... But I realised it was all a lie. They had made it up... just to make your life impossible... and leaving you without a best friend was one of those things. - She spoke non-stop. Each word she said made my fury increase.

That was when I finally looked at her, my eyes watery. But that wasn't the point. I would not forgive her as if nothing happened.

-First of all, I understand they've tricked yu by saying all those horrible things about me that not even Merlin wants to know. But why have they told you all that? - Elizabeth frowned. - Maybe they felt comfortable talking to you.

-No, I meant... - She began, nervous. - Sorry. I don't expect us to become best friends again... I just hope you gain trust in me again over time.

I didn't respond and just layed down, turning my bck on her. I didn't what to do... Elizabeth had been the first person I've befriended in my first term.

I would definitely have to think it through.

[...]

Great! Now I had to go to tryouts to enter the team.

-How've you been, sister? - George hugged me. - We know you'll make the team. - I just smiled at him.

-I bet she'll fall of the broom on her first try. - Fred laughed along with Jeremy. - Come on, I was just joking. - I just crossed my arms and turned my back on them.

-Please, Cora... Don't be mad... - I suddenly felt how he hugged me. Being taller, he completely surrounded me. - Look, I'm going to tell you a joke to lighten your mood. What does a twig say to her twin sister? - Nobody said a word, to which Fred smiled. - We're twigsies.

Cedric:

-Tell me again why we have to go to the Quidditch pitch when there's no training and I could be sleeping. - I looked back at Anthony.

-First of all, sleeping that much isn't good for you. Second, it you don't come out of the room, you'll be like a troll in his cave. Third, you have to socialize. And fourth... - He cut me off.

-No, you just don't want to see Cora on your own. See? I caught you. Let's go. - He walked toward the stands.

Cora:

-Very well, since we only have the Keepers and we'll watch the Chasers afterwards, let's see what you're capable of. - Roger announced.

-But Elizabeth is missing. - Cho, the new Ravenclaw Seeker, spoke.

-Elizabeth told me she won't do tryouts for Keeper. She says somebody else deserves the position rather than her. So we only have you two... Let's see what you can do.

[...]
Cedric:

Everyone who witnesses the scene was amazed by Cora's talent... Although, Grant Page was stronger and bigger.

-All right, guys. Our new Keeper will be... Page! Congrats! - I looked at Cora, who was looking down. She had done it amazingly and deserved the position. That wasn't fair.

-Wait! There must be another solution. - Her old friend, Elizabeth, spoke.

Everyone was watching the conversation between the capitain and Elizabeth. Cora was beside her with a frown.

-Do you know how to play as a Chaser? - Cora shook her head, to which the blonde girl nudged her, so she nodded. - Very well, then, let's see what you can do. It'd be a pity if you don't make it. Charlie Weasley trusted you'd be in the team.

I rolled my eyes. Why didn't he announce her as Keeper then?

Cora just said nothing and got on her broom. Randolph Burrow was her opponent, who also was bigger.

-Come on, girl! You got it! That's our sister! - The twins and Jeremy yelled from the stands.

-OKAY, THE ONLY THING YOU MUST DO IS A COMPETITION. WHOEVER SCORES MORE POINTS WINS THE POSITION AS CHASER. AM I CLEAR? - Roger threw the Quaffle into the air and Randolph caught it first, pushing Cora.

I saw she clunched her fists and went with incredible speed toward her rival.

-WHOO! - Everyone screamed. With a fast movement, she took the Quaffle away and rushed to another hoop, leaving a furious Randolph behind, and scoring ten points.

Cora was doing incredible as always. She had a lot of advantage above her opponent, and it was certain she'd get the position. I suppose playing as a keeper your whole life gives you more experience. In her case, she had multiple reflexes.

-This girl is good at everything. - I looked back at Anthony and smiled. - Oh, please, don't start.

I was about to say something, but Roger called them, inducating tryouts had ended, which meant Cora was now the new Chaser.

Suddenly, Randolph approached her in a threatening way. He told her something I think nobody heard, and left. That was when Cora jumped over him and started punching him in the face like muggles do.

I did not think it through, and sprinted toward them, pulling Cora away as much as I could. I held her by the waist, and felt how she was shaking. She was nervous.
-Cora, it isn't worth it, do you hear me? - I told her, trying to calm her down. - Remember you got the position. He just wants to provoke you.

-YOU SAY SOMETHING MORE ABOUT MY MOTHER AND I SWEAR YOU WON'T END UP ALIVE! - She then made an abrupt movement, making me let go off her. - LET ME GO!

And she walked away, almost running with tears in her eyes. The twins, Jeremy, and Elizabeth followed her.

I turned to Randolph, who had a smile on his face.
-What's wrong with you? - I asked him. - Is saying hurtful words the only thing you can do? A girl who's younger than you? You couldn't go lower.

-What will you do? - He mocked, still smiling. - Come on, defend your girlfriend.

-Cedric, just leave it. It's not worth it. - Anthony told me from behind.

I walked away, but Randolph started laughing and saying things like ooh, I'm shaking. Where are you going? With your girlfriend? Take care of her. Her father might escape from Askaban and kidnap her again. So I couldn't hold back anymore, and jumped over him while the others who were present just yelled "FIGHT. FIGHT."

Randolph wasn't blocking my movements, and I was more enfuriated with him after he said all those things about Cora. I kept punching his face until McGonagall appeared in front of us.

-Mr. Diggory! Leave Mr. Burrow alone! That's detention for you!

I was satisfied with what I had done. His nose was broken. Although... I was in big trouble.