4. Christmas

Cora:

Christmas. I hate Christmas. Fortunately, I told my mom I wanted stay in Hogwarts.

I sat on my bed, Elizabeth still sleeping.

That was until I saw presents by the door.

-Good morning, Cora. Merry Christmas. - Elizabeth rubbed her eyes, standing up and taking a box. She turned to smile at me. - For you.

I frowned and grabbed the present.
-Why are you doing this? - I looked down at it. - I spoke bad to you. Why are you giving me a present?

She smiled.
-Because I don't think you're a bad person. - She extended her hand. Friends?

Narrator:

Cora couldn't believe what she was feeling during that instant. She wanted to cry. Not of sadness, but of happiness.

She approached Elizabeth, and hugged her.
-Thank you. - She said.

Elizabeth, on the other hand, was surprised. Apparently, Cedric's words were... actually true.

Flashback

Cora was hugging her book against her chest.

Elizabeth has been feeling down, but Cora had treated her terribly during the past days.

-Hello... Cedric Diggory. - The boy extended his hand. - Can I talk to you for a minute?

End of flashback

-I... didn't get you anything. - Cora stared at the blue teddy bear. - Sorry.

-It's all right. - Elizabeth smiled. - It's enough with us being friends.

The girl approaches the other presents, and grabbed a small box.

-This is for you, but can't say from who. - She gave it to Cora.

Cora furrowed her eyebrows. She opened the small box, finding a pretty necklace.

There a also a note inside.

-Hope you like it... Who...? - Cora looked at her roommate, who shrugged with a smile.

[...]

When both girls went down, Cedric was  the first one to notice.

He realised that Cora was wearing the necklace he'd given her for Christmas, and it made him happy.

However, he did not say a word. He didn't want to ruin the mood.

[...]

-So... what are you doing today? - Elizabeth asked Cora. - If you want to hang out, that's great.

-Sure. - She responded immediately. - What do you propose? - Elizabeth seemed excited.

Elizabeth wasn't the the one to have tons of friends. she was reserved with the ones she knew. She was excited that her roommate wanted to be friends with her.

-Why don't we go see if they're playing Quidditch? - She took Cora's hand, exiting the castle and heading to the pitch.

When they arrived, the Gryffindors were practicing.Q
-Have you seen Charlie? - Elizabeth commented. - He's the best capitain they could have.

-Merry Christmas! - The Weasley twins approached the girls. - Wanna taste? - They offered candy to them.

Elizabeth took the candy and ate it immediately while Cora just stared at it.

All of a sudden, a pair of mouse ears replaced the blonde Ravenclaw's.
-Where'd you get it? - Cora asked, analysing the candy. - They don't sell these at Zonko's.

George and Fred looked at each other. Cora went to that store?
-We made it ourselves. - The redheads announced in unison.

Elizabeth, on the other hand, couldn't see a thing. Cora and the twins ignored the mouse ears.

Five minutes later, the ears disappeared.
-If you add more Alihosty, to more leafs to be specific, it'll last thirty minutes. - The twins frowned, to which the girl whispered to them. - It'll be funnier that way. - She winked.

George smiled with excitement. Cora was a great girl.
-You're amazing. - Fred said accidentally, to which the girl laughed.

The twins and Elizabeth stared at her as if she was holding a gun. They had never seen Cora smile or laugh in any way.
-What? What did I do? - She asked, weirded out by their looks.

[...]

Cora was making her way to the Ravenclaw common room. Elizabeth had left her since she had to write to her parents. Cora had done it already... over night.

-Merry Christmas. - A voice said from behind.

Cora turned around, and smiled at the boy, which surprised Cedric.
-You, too. - She replied.

-Nice necklace, by the way. - He pointed out.

That was when she realised it was his present.
-Thank you. - The girl took a step forward. - You didn't have to. I've been treating you horribly through all this time. Why?

Cedric searched for an answer.
-I told you. I just want to be your friend. - Cora smiled by his words.

-All right, then I'll see you around... friend. - She laughed.

For Cedric, that was the prettiest laugh he's ever heard. More than he could've imegined.

The girl went to the common room, but the boy followed her. Listening to the Ravenclaws' riddles entertained him.

What's more useful when it's broken?

Cedric tried looking for the answer... What could it be? He couldn't think of the answer.

-An egg. - Cora answered, making the door open.

How stupid. Cedric thought. How couldn't he have thought about that?

The girl entered her dorm, and saw her owl, who was holding a letter with one of his paws.

Hello, darling.

I'm glad to know you're okay. I'm always thinking about you, and I would've liked to spend this Christmas with you. But I understand if you want to stay in Hogwarts. I hope you0ve made some friends. That would make so happy.

Remember, always owl me when you have time. I'll always have time for you, my darling. I love you so much, with my whole life.

Tons of love, your mother.

Cora saved the letter in a drawer and put her pijamas on.

-How was your day? - She turned to Elizabeth. - I hope it was good. I really like you, Cora. - Her roommate smiled.

-I like you, too. Thank for... everything. - Cora stretched on her bed. - Good night.

What nobody knew, was that she was destroyed inside. It was now three years since her brother's death. But she didn't want to suffer anymore. She had to change. Not only for herself, but for her new friends.