Chapter 1

“Laura….Laura, get down here this instant!”

            Laura sighed from her post by the window before gracefully lifting her limbs and starting out of the upstairs library that was her own sanctuary. Rarely was she at home these days, having gone away to university, but when she was back she was expected to obey the rules as if she had never left, as if she wasn’t an adult who knew very well how to take care of herself. In fact, as soon as Laura had stepped into the country again, she had been bombarded with security and treated as if she possessed the crown jewels of Italy on her person at all times. Laura frowned to herself as she made her way downstairs, smiling faintly to the maids who she passed, and stepping gingerly over the old family dog who was spilled out in front of the staircase. As she descended the stairs, Laura thought of just how bizarre her father’s security teams had been acting, more so than usual. Perhaps something had happened while she was away? But no, they would have called her if her father had been in any real danger, wouldn’t they? Laura frowned deeper, and pushed open the door to her father’s study without knocking.

            Sitting behind a heavy oak desk, a man with distinguishing good looks glanced up at Laura briefly with the same golden rich eyes that she possessed. The slight wrinkles around his eyes told his age, and the greying of hairs at his temples revealed it as well. For a man of nearly 50, Carlos Santos looked surprisingly fit and young. His deeply tanned hand flicked towards a chair in front of his desk, indicating for Laura to sit down. Laura perched on the end of the chair, folding her hands in her lap and looking at her father, who was radiating power as he flipped through some papers on his desk.

            “You called, papa?”

            “Yes, I did...”

            “If you called me down here to try and talk me out of taking the internship, you’re wasting your time.” Laura told him fiercely. Carlos Santos sighed and leaned back, surveying Laura sharply.

            “How was your day?”

            Laura shrugged. “Fine, everything was fine. Yours?”

            He ignored her question and went on. “You are feeling well? Nothing wrong?”

            “No, everything’s fine, why?”

            “I was simply wondering” Carlos said while leaning forward, resting his forearms on his desk. “Since talking with the Christoffs…”

            Laura stiffened at the name but said nothing. “Laura” Her father said with a shake of his head. “Why do you insist on insulting my friends?”

            “Insulting them?!” Laura exclaimed, but Carlos was still going on, shaking his head.

            “You were supposed to spend two weeks with them yet you insisted on leaving after only three days-“

            “I could not stay there, papa-“

            “You should not have left, I specifically made arrangements for you to stay with them-“

            “Papa, you are being ridiculous-!”

            Carlos slammed his fist onto the desk and swore fiercely in Italian. “You were rude! You embarrass me! This family! And something could have happened to you! You did not even alert security that you were going back to university instead!”

            Laura was silent, looking at her hands. Carlos ran a hand over his face and sighed. “Dio, cara, I am sor-“

            “I am sorry, papa” Laura said as she stood. “I will not be embarrassing you again. I assure you.”