𝐭𝐡𝐫𝐞𝐞

Start from the beginning

"We all did," said Remus. "But he's not. He got away. Lived for thirteen years as Harry's best friend's pet rat. Sirius went to Hogwarts to finally finish the job he started all those years ago." 

Again, Artemis said nothing.

"He didn't do it, though. As soon as Sirius explained that he was innocent, and proved that he was innocent, I was ready to kill Peter with him. Only, then I transformed and Sirius had to help keep me away from the kids- Harry and his friends, I mean." 

He sank his face into his hands again. This time, recounting the hundreds of ways he could've hurt four innocent people that night, if not more.

"And I lost my job," he murmured, as an afterthought. 

Artemis sat in perfect silence for a long time. Then, she was on her feet. "Where is he?" she demanded. 

"What?" 

"Sirius," said Artemis. "Where is he now? Did you tell him where I am? Did he get caught? Finish the damn story, Remus." 

Remus gazed up at her calmly. "He's back in hiding. Or rather, on the run again. I did not tell him where you were, although he asked about a million times." 

"And you didn't tell him?" Artemis cried, raising her voice. 

Remus got to his feet too. "No, I didn't tell him. Leading Sirius here would be bringing danger right to our doorstep. It's best to wait until he's widely proven innocent, and then-" 

"You think that's ever going to happen?" Artemis shouted. "Remus, it's over! This is the way things are now! Nothing is going to change. Sirius will never be proven innocent because Peter's god knows where, and Lily and James are dead. Dead, Remus!"

"Do you think I don't know that?" Remus shouted back. It was rare that Artemis heard him raise his voice. It caught her off guard for a second. "Do you really think I haven't thought about the fact that James and Lily are dead every single bloody day of my life for the last thirteen years?"

She scowled at him. "Then stop acting like everything is going to somehow blow over! I don't care that Sirius is on the run, I don't care that we'd be in danger if he showed up- don't you realize that nothing fucking matters anymore?" 

"Why am I the only one to ever think about consequences?" Remus shot back. 

"You're not, you're just the only one who cares about them," said Artemis. "I don't care! I don't care if Sirius showed up and we were both killed an hour later, at least I would get that hour with him! I can't do this anymore! This isn't what a life should be- sitting in a house for thirteen years thinking about what could've happened- I can't do it anymore."

"That's the problem with you," Remus said, running his hands through his hair. "All you've cared about all this time is Sirius- and you act like I don't. You act like I don't want him here- do you know how hard it was to let him go after all that time? That's my best fucking friend, Artemis! He's the only one left besides you-" 

Artemis felt tears welling in her eyes. "At least you got to see him!" she yelled. "While I was trapped in here for thirteen years!"

"Then go!" Remus shouted back. "Then go and find him! If you want to throw yourself into danger and get yourself killed, what am I going to do about it? That's what everyone else did, anyway, you might as well join them!" 

He knew he'd gone too far when Artemis didn't answer. Silence filled the kitchen. Then, Artemis sobbed and buried her own face in her hands, her shoulders heaving, tears sliding down her face. Remus hated himself for a second for making her cry, then stepped forward and put a hand on her shoulder.