Chapter Thirty Seven

Start from the beginning

How cute.

The trees cleared, revealing a barren stretch of land jutting toward the deep ravine and the temple perched on the spit of rock in the center. On the other side, Oakwald sprawled onward.

Connected only by two chain-and-wood bridges, it was the sole way across the ravine for miles. And with the dense foliage of Oakwald blocking the wyverns, the witches would no doubt pursue on foot, meaning it was the only way to escape - or, more realistically - the only way to keep Aedion and Chaol safe during this little skirmish.

Not that they needed to know that.

"Hurry," Rowan shouted at the two of them as they scrambled towards the crumbling temple ruins.

The temple was small enough that not even the priestesses had dwelled there. The only decorations on the stone island were five weather-stained pillars and a crumbling, domed roof. There wasn't even an altar - at least not one that had survived the centuries.

Apparently, people had given up on Temis long before the King of Adarlan came along. Too bad they hadn't abandoned the Bone Carver - or Sin Eater, as he'd fashioned himself here - just as easily.

I could only hope that the bridges on either side were not in a similar state of disrepair to the temple as Aedion hurled himself to a stop before the first footbridge, Chaol a few paces behind him. Apparently it didn't take him long to determine if it was secure or not, because before I could bark out a warning, he was thundering across - leaving the terrified captain behind.

The bridge bounced and swayed beneath his feet, but held - held even as my breath caught in my throat, waiting for the moment when my idiotic cousin tumbled into the depths of the ravine below.

But then he was at the temple island, safe on that single, thin pillar of rock carved out by the rushing river flowing far, far below. He waved Chaol on, the captain having - in his first display of sense of the day - decided to remain on solid ground while Aedion crossed.

"One at a time," he ordered, glancing warily behind him at the second bridge that waited.

Chaol hurried through the stone pillars that flanked the entrance to the first bridge, the thin iron chains on the sides writhing as the bridge bounced beneath his weight. He kept upright, all but flying towards the temple, faster than I'd ever seen him run.

Then my mates and I were at the columns, and I caught my first glimpse over the edge. Fuck that was a wicked drop - far enough that the roar of the river was barely a whisper. Now I understood why Aedion was only willing to risk one of us on the bridge at a time.

Turning back, I could see the machinations in my mates' eyes, but they were too little, too late.

"Whoops," I chirped, shoving Rhysand - who had been closest to me - onto the bridge ahead of me. "No use in arguing now."

His violet eyes glittered with the promise of retribution, but he still hurried across - just as I sidestepped out of Cassian's reach, his fingertips a featherlight caress against my skin. He hissed in annoyance, but soon found himself in his High Lord's place as soon as the former had made it safely to that narrow strip of rock.

I continued this dance two more times, until five fae males were glaring at me from across the rickety, wooden bridge. My mates had already urged Chaol across the second bridge - thankfully understanding whose safety was most at risk - but my stubborn ass of a cousin refused to move until he saw I was following behind.

The thundering footsteps of the witches drew closer, breaking through the trees with fae swiftness. And so, I launched myself onto the bridge as swiftly as I could, running so I could beat some sense into Aedion myself.