part 12- once upon a time

Lacy had driven her yellow beetle to the FBI headquarters and was immediately met by the gloomy downpour of rain.

It reflected her mood, she felt dreadful. The dreary grey building reminded her of the DA's office. Official, government and gloomy. She took a moment to breathe, knowing that she was about to walk into a shit show and that for just a second, she could have herself in this moment. She could breathe and exist for herself. She took a breath and felt more ready than before to tackle this storm.

She kept a small black umbrella in her car and used it to hurry across the car park to the lobby of the shelter. She looked back, her bright yellow car stuck out in a sea of black corporate cars. She had bought the car in college, saving up and using it as another step to get her independence. Lacy closed the umbrella and made her way into the lobby area. She signed in got a visitor's pass, being told she needed to go to the 5th floor. She piled into the elevator with the rest of the agents, fitting in nicely with her black suit and watching the floors slowly change as she rose in the building.

When she finally reached her stop. She pushed her way out to the 5th floor. The dreary dim light of the office caught her eye at first and the extreme lack of colour hurt her soul. She didn't know where to go, only being told the floor. She looked to the many agents hurrying up and down the corridor and, to her surprise, one of them was familiar to her. She called out for him and he stopped in his tracks.

"Mr Hotchner!" She called out and he stopped, turning around with a smile.

The face was so recognizable, Aaron Hotchner, the man who first sparked her passion for law. In her teens, Lacy had taken a summer internship for him at the DA's office, watching him in court as a prosecutor. He knew her parents and had nothing but respect for her decision to cut them off. Aaron had stayed in her life long after that, offering her odd jobs and babysitting gigs when he knew money was tough. He was always for her.

"Lacy?" He came over to her, smiling as he pulled her in for a hug. "It's great to see you, Jack has been asking for you."

"I was one of the best babysitters of all time, to be fair," She smiled and he laughed.

"What are you doing here? I heard about what happened at the DA's office, Mac Gowan was always a sleaze," He scoffed, "I mean, you know my opinions of him. What are you doing here? I thought you left the law life behind you?"

"I did but, I've been called by a friend. Do you have any details on the arrest of Aiden Campbell? Or even where I should go?" His face dropped.

"You're representing Campbell?" She nodded, "It's my case, I'm the unit chief of the BAU."

"Alright, well, I need to see him," She stated and he agreed.

They stood for a minute as he explained the case details to her. She was making mental notes of every piece of detail, she didn't need to write them down. He expressed his frustration and how he truly didn't believe that Aiden was responsible.

"Follow me," They picked up speed and entered the bullpen, "I have to meet someone but, I'll have one of my agents take you to him."

Lacy heard her phone buzz from her bag and continued to follow Hotch while rummaging for it. She didn't look up but had an eye on where his legs were going. He stopped as she finally found it, seeing the text.

D4: Definitely.

"Lacy-"

She flicked her head up to see the familiar back of a man's head and a familiar cardigan. She froze, seeing the phone in his hand close and noticing the case board that he was staring at. He hadn't turned, he was focused and she was, in turn, focused on him. She knew his light brown curls in detail and they were the only thing staring at him at that moment.