Once more a big round of cheers burst out among the crowd. They cried out aloud his name.

Pharazôn waved at them briefly and then returned to his work, ordering the unloading of the freight. It wasn't long before his eyes caught a familiar figure standing a little way aside.

He felt his heart skip a beat at the sight of him.

He gestured to his people to take charge of the ships and approached him. Soon they became face to face. They stared at each other without saying anything for a long time.

"It has been a while, Amandil."

Pharazôn said at last.

"Yes, it has indeed."

Amandil replied, smiling faintly.

"It's strange. You hardly journey out of Andúnië these days, do you?"

"No, but I come to visit the king. He hasn't been feeling very well recently."

Amandil lowed his gaze as he spoke; a trace of sorrow crossed his face. But soon he lifted his head again and smiled.

"And I'm here to see you. I heard you're coming back today. I've missed you, my friend."

Pharazôn stared at his face silently. Then he reached out his arms and embraced him.

"Me too."

He muttered. The restlessness in his heart seemed to soothe a little when he felt Amandil hugging him back.

"You should have come to Middle-earth with me. There are many peculiar things there."

He told Amandil after they parted.

"I would love to see the lands and the rivers of Middle-earth with you next time. I've heard they are wondrous."

Amandil said blandly.

"I managed to get some trinkets during my time there, and I've found something quite exquisite. I wager you will like it."

Pharazôn spoke in concealed eagerness.

"It's a silver brooch, elven craftsmanship they said, and it has a history of over a thousand years. I can show it to you if you want. You are fond of this sort of thing, aren't you?"

But Amandil frowned.

"In early ages when our ancestors first set foot on the shores of Middle-earth, they helped the people there and taught them ways of living, and did more giving than taking."

He said disapprovingly.

"Pharazôn, you are not supposed to deprive them of their fortune."

Pharazôn regretted bringing up the subject instantly. This issue had always been one of the dissensions between them.

He changed the topic swiftly.

"Would you come back to Armenelos with me? There will be a feast at my house this evening, to celebrate my coming back. We haven't seen each other for so long."

"I'd love to. Though I doubt if your people there will welcome me."

Amandil replied with slight hesitation.

"I welcome you. That's all that matters."

Pharazôn said firmly.

§

The feast turned out to be a merry one for them both. They had a few drinks together and talked long, just like their old days.

Pharazôn was greatly delighted. When dusk fell, he took Amandil's hand and led him onto the rooftop.