Part 1

Pharazôn had a dream.

He dreamed of the day a long time ago when he journeyed far with Amandil to the westmost coast of Númenór on a whim.

The sun was getting low when they arrived at their destination. They strolled along the shore leisurely, listening to the incessant sound of waves, while the sea breeze made their hair flutter in the air.

They stopped and gazed out over the sea in awe as the last blaze of the sun set its whole surface on fire. And suddenly Amandil raised his hand and pointed toward the distant sky.

"Look! It's already there."

He exclaimed in joy.

Upon the horizon, a gleaming star hung solely. It shone so brilliantly that the ember of the sun couldn't hide its light.

"Eärendil's star! Pharazôn, do you know it was the light of this very star that led our ancestors to this land?"

"Indeed."

Pharazôn answered rather absentmindedly, staring at his companion instead of the star.

He never had a passion for lore and history like Amandil did, but he liked it a lot when Amandil talked about them. The exuberance in his eyes as he spoke brightened up his entire face. It fascinated him.

"Hope always fills my heart every time I see it."

Amandil turned to him, smiling. There was light glittering in his eyes.

"It's beautiful, isn't it?"

― Not as beautiful as your eyes.

Pharazôn thought to himself, but he didn't speak it out.

§

On the day the great fleet of the Númenóreans returned to their homeport, not a single star could be seen in the sky.

Pharazôn stood silently on the deck and gazed out over the sea as the blurry silhouette of towers and buildings upon the horizon grew clearer and clearer. The sky was dark; only a lining of dim, pale light over the eastern sky indicated that dawn was breaking.

Somehow he felt a restlessness in his heart.

Many months had passed since he set sail for Middle-earth this time. He sought to extend his dominion further, and against the men dwelling by the coast who dared to resist him, he made war. His arms and power were so strong that he was always victorious, and he gathered great wealth. He was supposed to be content and returned home in glory.

Pharazôn thought of his dream last night. And he became more fretful.

He could hardly remember when was the last time he traveled with Amandil.

They used to be intimate friends and spent a lot of time together, but as they grew older the divergences in their thoughts and views made their relationship become tense.

They didn't part in friendliness the last time they met.

The ships of the Númenóreans sailed into the haven of Rómenna as the first morning sunshine fell. There was already a crowd of people gathering at the wharf to welcome them. It had become a custom ever since Pharazôn first sailed abroad and returned with great wealth.

They let out loud cheers upon seeing Pharazôn disembark.

"Hail our great captain of the land and the sea!"

They cried. Pharazôn turned to them and spoke.

"Day by day Númenór increases in power and splendor. And now its influence has spread even eastward, for I've gained much domination of the coastlands of Middle-earth. The glory shall be shared with my fellow Númenóreans, and the wealth brought back here I will give away to you all free."