06. the first of many

With her concussion, Katherine wasn't allowed to do much around camp. Everyone was worried she'd strain herself and worsen it, Katherine assured them she was fine and not totally worthless, she didn't lose an arm, she was perfectly fine in helping around.

Then, she'd be reminded that it wasn't just a small cut on her head, it was a concussion, and though they were sure it was only minor, they didn't want to worsen it, since they didn't have the resources. So, she mostly now just sits around and watches the younger kids, and though she doesn't mind it, she did it before the fall, but it can get boring.

Katherine feels like she's truly not helping around by just sitting on her ass. She doesn't feel like she's being useful, whenever she asks Carol if there's anything she can do, Carol always tells her with a small smile, that watching over Sophia and the other kids is plenty of help.

The minute Katherine tries helping out more at camp, Jacqui is by her side, ordering her to sit back down and relax, claiming they have everything handled, and for Katherine to do her job and watch the kids.

Luckily, with Andrea and Amy fishing they'd have enough food for a couple days, Katherine smiled, she knew she could always count on them. Amy had checked up on her the most today, making sure she wasn't working and her concussion wasn't worsening, often asking Katherine how many fingers is she holding up, and somethings Katherine would jokingly double the amount to mess with Amy.

And then there's Jim, who had been digging graves for some odd reason, Katherine never got to ask him, since Shane tied him to a tree after he attacked the latter at the sight. Katherine thought it was silly, if Jim wasn't hurting anyone, why tie him like an animal. She asked Dale who first saw Jim digging graves, and he told her he was hurting himself.

"Hey" Harlow came up to her, Katherine was sitting on the edge of the hill, looking out at the quarry, she turned at her sister's voice.

"Dale said dinner's almost ready and to come get you" Harlow informed her.

Katherine nods, "Thanks, I'll be there soon"

Harlow nods and walks back over to the campfire, Katherine looks back out to the quarry, sighing as she does. The environment looks so beautiful, but she has to remind herself the world isn't so beautiful.

The dead run the world. They're safe at their camp, but for how much longer, they've already had a walker up near camp, who's to say they're nearing another run in with their camp. No one in camp is prepared, they don't have weapons or training. Katherine went to the range with her Dad once or twice, but that's about it. She's never actually killed anything.

"Kat" someone calls out to her again, she turns and this time it's Dale, "We've been calling ya, fish is cooked"

"Sorry" she apologies, getting up off the ground, cleaning herself off from any dirt, "I've just been thinking, wasting time"

"There's nothing by time in the world. Plenty of time to waste" he tells her, "Come on" he nods his head to the campfire. She follows after him, taking her spot between Sophia and Harlow and is handed a piece of fish. She is also given a bottle of water.

She's too exhausted to talk, after not sleeping the previous night, she was ready to just jump into her bed and sleep, hoping to wake up from whatever nightmare she's living. Though she knows she won't wake up, and be back in her own bed, in her home, with both parents alive. She can dream.

"I've got to ask you, man, it's been driving me crazy" Morales asks Dale.

"What?" Dale questions.

"That watch" Morales points to the watch on Dale's wrist.